What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Continental?

txaviator

Well Known Member
Why is it that we never really hear about anything 'Continental engines' ?

I am a L-O-N-G way from really needing to know, but I know when my grandfather was in the aircraft business about 15-years ago, Continental was almost a household word around his airport? :confused:

Any input?

Thanks,

Anyone know of a Continental-powered RV?

It would seem that if a Continental was a viable choice for an RV, that while searching for both Lyc's and Continental's, a person may have more choices and/or be able to find a better deal on a mid-time engine?

Just thought I would seek more input on an old thread I started back in February. Thanks.

Vans did it!

Vans put a Continental IO-360 in their second factory RV-10. This is a 210 hp engine and probably not suitable for the two-place birds. (It's a six-banger). I believe they did it as a proof of concept measure and interestingly enough, it performed very close to the 260 hp Lycoming IO-540. Of course, this is not your traditional Continental which I consider to be more on the order of the O-300 series used on the early Cessna four-place airplanes. The only certified use of the IO-360 that I'm aware of is on the Cessna Hawk XPs. Any other info/opinions out there?

--hawk

Hawkeye7A said:
Vans put a Continental IO-360 in their second factory RV-10. This is a 210 hp engine and probably not suitable for the two-place birds. (It's a six-banger). I believe they did it as a proof of concept measure and interestingly enough, it performed very close to the 260 hp Lycoming IO-540. Of course, this is not your traditional Continental which I consider to be more on the order of the O-300 series used on the early Cessna four-place airplanes. The only certified use of the IO-360 that I'm aware of is on the Cessna Hawk XPs. Any other info/opinions out there?

--hawk
Other certified uses of the IO-360 (most with turbos):

Piper Seneca II, III, IV, V
Piper Turbo Arrow
Piper Turbo Dakota
Mooney 231
Mooney 252

The main problem is that TCM doesn't make a engine that is compairable to the (i)O-3X0 series that Lycoming makes so well.

The IO-240 is a possible for the RV-9 (A) and the IO-360 is a possible for the RV10. In the aviation consumer article, they mentioned that TCM might make a lightweight IO-520 (250HP) which might work in a 10... But they don't really make a decent engine for the 3, 4, 6, 7, or 8.

Back