What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any regrets?

JohnJacobsen

I am still debating the canopy. Have been leaning to slider mostly, have always liked the look. Im not starting a debate over which one is better. Just wondering if anyone who built a slider has regrets doing it, or tip up for that matter.

conopy choice

JohnJacobsen said:
I am still debating the canopy. Have been leaning to slider mostly, have always liked the look. Im not starting a debate over which one is better. Just wondering if anyone who built a slider has regrets doing it, or tip up for that matter.

I had my mind made up to go with the slider until I saw a picture taken out of a slider vividly illustrating the supporting structure [which limits visibility] ,I'm going with the tillt up. Easier insllation and better panel access.Good luck with which ever you choose.
Don RV9 tailkit 75% complete

You might want to factor in what type of instrumentation you plan to have in the plane as well. The substructures (stuff behind the panel) are different for slider v. tipup. Plusses and minusses in each case.

James
Tip-up flying
Slider under construction

JohnJacobsen said:

I absolutely love my 7A tipup. Easy to get at the panel wiring. It is also very easy to remove, if need be. It was very easy to build. Visibility is outstanding. I think they look better. I had no problems with water intrusion in flight and just cracking it open during taxiing cools me off just fine. I've been flying mine for 11 months now and it has been to AZ, NM, CO, UT, GA and points in between to WI, during warm weather. I hangar my 7A and have a Van's light weight canopy cover that keeps rain out just fine, when parked away from home.

Safety

I like the safety of having the roll bar in front to. Not to mention that in the case of roll over I think the slider would be easier to get out of.
Its gonna be a VFR panel, thinkin of the Dynon EFIS and engine monitor, with a hand held GPS and one radio.

The way you pose the question is limiting

I did the final assembly of my RV-6A Slider (I can not imagine anyone that was a boy during WWII building a tip-up) but there are operational reasons that the airplanes had sliding "green houses" or canopies - it is rugged. That aside, my slider is perfect in appearance utility and function. It is no problem at all to get my 68 year old body down in the cockpit and work on any of the plumbing or wiring - pull out the seatback lay in a mat and go to work. A good friend and very experienced T-18 builder decided to build an RV-6A and he opted for the tip up canopy. After he had it completed the left rear corner was cracked during closure - talk about making one sick! The open tip up has a lot of wind catching area to be dealt with in operations. People deal with it every day but it is something that isn't necessary if you still have a choice to make.
P.S. If you think the roll bar obscures your vision wait until you are close in right downwind in a side-by-side RV - you are really going to be stressed.

Last edited:
Love my slider

I've been flying my slider for just over a year and I have zero regrets. I love taxiing with it open when it's hot (especially if you live somewhere humid), and I think it looks a lot more cool than the tipper. I also like the fact that if I land off airport and flip over that the roll bar is in front of my head. I've heard this arguement about seeing a photograph taken from a slider and the canopy bow taking up a huge part of the picture. Next time you're in your car, take a picture looking out at the ten o'clock position. Get the picture developed, and the support pillar will take up a huge portion of the picture. Yet you know that when you drive your car you have plenty of visibility Same thing when flying with the slider. Someone on this forum recently said that the sliders have a lot of advantages, but that visibilty wasn't one of them. Completely untrue. The tip-up has better visibility, yes, but that doesn't mean that the slider doesn't have great visibility. Finally, if that were the case, then there are a lot of Navy/Marine Corps F/A-18 Hornet pilots out there, including the Blue Angels who have been flying around in tight formation, day/night, VFR/IFR, combat/noncombat with poor visibility from their canopy bow setup being same as our slider and apparently haven't noticed.

Tobin
PS - This is absolutely not meant to detract in anyway from the tip-up. Notice I didn't say one thing negative about the tip-up. (well maybe the cool comment was uncalled for :) )

Last edited:
Robust

The Slider is just tougher, suffers less damage.
I know. I work on lots of RVs and the tipups keep coming backin for repair.
Build a slider.

Any regrets? tip up.

I would pick either the tip up or the slider if I were you. Just kidding. I have heard the slider is a little more difficult to build. Being a first time builder, I wanted to keep it as simple and straight forward as possible. Saying that, I must confess that the tip-up canopy was one of the more difficult (for me) parts to get to fit correctly (on and off, adjust, on, off, fit, on, off, on off, bolt on for final time, find out that it fits differently bolted on, take it off again, beat the front angle with a hammer, refit). So my conclusion with my vast experience of building 1 RV, is that both are great choices and both need patience. I have no regrets, but now question the ease of construction factor. It's not an overwhelming project, just approach it with care. Jack

I'm building my 7 tip up at an airport with many flying RVs. I have flown in both many times and they each have their good and bad. I have a friend that had a 6 tip up and he finished a 7 slider a couple of months back. He likes the slide much better, mainley during taxi and ground work. (we live in so cal and it can get pretty hot in the summer) I get most of my rides in his 7 slider and you get used to seeing the roll bar and don't notice it after a while. Just the other day I was flying in a tip up and got a strange feeling not seeing the roll bar. It had this wide open feeling, kinda unsettling at first doing 2g turns but I sure like the look out it.

The choice of canopy configuration will always be reduced to an individual decision reflecting a uniquely personal taste and priority set. Although visibility is unquestionably superior, I never really considered the tip up. I simply like the military look of a slider and its appeal does resonate with my inner self. I also like the way it shows itself in the opened position and how the slider performs overall. Something to be said for your arm casually resting on the sill as you taxi by!

There are many and varied reasons why we choose one canopy configuration over another. But never have I heard the following openly considered: I believe many (but not all) budget minded builders opt for the tip-up simply because it is less expensive than the slider.

I happen to personally know of an RV-7A (slider) that came to rest upside down after an engine-out event and the pilot crawled out on his own with a few bumps, scratches and a bruised ego. I believe that steel rollbar which supported the weight of the aircraft saved his bacon. In my view, the same outcome would have been highly unlikely if his RV was equipped with a tip-up. In all probability, the tip-up would not have prevented him from being crushed. For safety and other reasons, even the highly regarded CAFE foundation prefers the slider. See http://www.cafefoundation.org/aprs/RV-6A Final APR.pdf

One of the significant advantages of the tip-up canopy over the stock slider configuration is access to the baggage area, but this advantage is quickly negated by the simple addition of Koger tip-up mod.

The choice of canopy style is and will always be a highly personal one. After any major decision is made, it is the timeless quality of human nature to circle the wagons around the choices we make. Listen to your own inner voice.

One more slightly related item. The RV-7A that I mentioned? The fuselage and vertical stab were hopelessly damaged beyond repair but the builder mated his undamaged wings to a new quickbuild fuselage and flies again! Something to be said for the breathtaking advances in matched hole drilling.

Very good post. And MOST of it is true. However, I must argue that the roll-over structure on the tip-up is as strong (and I believe stronger) than the windshield frame on the slider. There have been several tip-up RVs on their back and NEVER has there been injuries because of a crushed canopy. The structure is a built-up structure that goes all the way down to the rear spar carry-thru.
Mel..DAR

tip up

I'm not sure about the validity of the crushed canopy probability of the tip up when flipped over. I have seen (unfortunately) several pictures of upturned RVs and don't remember a crushed canopy on either model. There might be a disadvantage of extracting yourself from a roll over in a tip up. But, I've also heard its difficult to open a slider that is resting on it's backside. I am pretty sure that some type of extracting tool would be good safety equipment in either. Jack N489JE

Rick6a said:
I believe that steel rollbar which supported the weight of the aircraft saved his bacon. In my view, the same outcome would have been highly unlikely if his RV was equipped with a tip-up. In all probability, the tip-up would not have prevented him from being crushed. For safety and other reasons, even the highly regarded CAFE foundation prefers the slider. See http://www.cafefoundation.org/aprs/RV-6A Final APR.pdf

That CAFE article was written in 1993. Not very many sliding canopies were built yet. Alan Tolle did the first in (have to look it up later when I get home) ?? Also that was the opinion of the one or two pilots that flew Steve Barnard's airplane. And we all know what opinions are worth.

I agree with Mel. The roll bar on the tip-up is stout. Plus passengers (like my wife with her arthritic hands) can lean on it getting into the plane. There ain't much to lean on (easily) with the slider.

I am building the tip-up because the visibility of the RV is one of the things that made me fall in love with it. Plus I don't plan to crash. Kind of like my car with no airbag in it.

Jay's concerns about maintenance---------now that is worth looking into.

What kind of problems are you finding Jay??

decisions

It seems that people prefer the stile of canopy that they have, so i think you will like whitch ever one you go with.
Doyle Reed
RV7A Tip UP, BTW I love IT

In my experience saying that a tipper is easier for maintenance is not true. I have a tipper and seem to spend a lot of time lying under the panel. My canopy also has a crack in each of the back corners. I find access to the baggage area somewhat difficult when loading up for a trip. Next time I would probably go for a slider, but haven't lived with one so don't know the pitfalls.

Pete

penguin said:
In my experience saying that a tipper is easier for maintenance is not true. I have a tipper and seem to spend a lot of time lying under the panel. My canopy also has a crack in each of the back corners. I find access to the baggage area somewhat difficult when loading up for a trip. Next time I would probably go for a slider, but haven't lived with one so don't know the pitfalls.

Pete

This is one of those topics where there is no right answer. But I'm bored (stuck in a hotel), so I'll type a bit.

In trying to be objective about this, I have to agree in general with everything Pete said (except for the cracks).

My biggest gripe about the tip-up is that the thickness of the cabin frame, which certainly is a structural asset, does make loading and particularly unloading bags slightly more difficult. There is simply less vertical space. I know more than one RV builder who cut down the tops of his seats, and I think that's an idea worth putting some thought into.

Like Pete mentioned, I too have spent a fair amount of time on my back, but the tip-up does afford good access to the instruments & pitot/static connections. Most other stuff tends to be too deep (i.e. most avionics) or mounted too far forward to access. That said, having added front deck access panels, life is greatly simplified -- this holds true regardless of canopy style in my opinion.

The "acts like a sail in wind" thing is the only other negative trait of the tip-up that I can think of, while we're being objective.

Oh yeah, don't forget about the probability of water getting into your cockpit if you open a tip-up in the rain, particularly on a taildragger.

Having admitted these few shortcomings of the tip-up, I still would not want a slider given a choice. I've been spending this weekend participating in the FFI West Coast Formation Clinic...I went up in somebody's right seat for one flight, and this was a -6A with a slider. The windshield bow or roll bar or whatever you want to call it was pretty annoying. I *did* notice it. There is head-tipping involved. I'm sure I'd learn not to notice it over time (look at all the warbirds out there and modern military jets with stuff in view), but it sure was a conscious annoyance this morning.

I was glad to get back in my plane with the tip-up. The wide-open visibility is hard to beat for what it is. If you see yourself flying formation, or doing any serious photo or video ops, I believe the tip-up is worth considering.

I will probably build another RV-7 at some point in the next few years, and it will have a tip-up canopy for sure.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Still undecided

Thanks for all the replies. I do like both , and think I would be happy with either one. And like everyone says I would get used to whatever config I go with. It is the small details I didnt know, like tip up acting as sail, etc. And that is what I was looking for, I thank those who brought up short comings of their loved canopies ;) . My main dilemma is that I bought a fuselage kit from someone that is a tip up , was planning on a slider. So was just trying to figure if it is worth spending more money to make it a slider. Still have time, just started wings :rolleyes:

RE:Any Regrets

Hi John,

I'll bite. Yes, the grass is always greener. I built a slider, 3x. I understand the tilt is easier to construct and has better visability. My slider has air that comes in under the rear skirt which is undectable in the summer, but go up when it is 30 degrees F or less and the back of your neck will let you know about it. Not long ago there was a gent in So. CA I believe that showed with Tufting?, those little ribbons taped all over the airplane in flight that air comes in under the rear skirt. This is pretty normal if folks were to be completely honest with you. Some sort of weatherstrip is essential to stop this. However, now that summer is coming our way I'll taxi proudly with the canopy slid back while the tip up guys are melting inside their fishbowls. Again, if your having a tough time now you'll probably always second guess your choice. My advice, choose one and get flying! My personal opinion is that the tip up looks cooler on the taildraggers and the slider looks cooler on the nosewheel airplanes.

Regards,
Bryan

re: slider regrets?

Ha.

I've recently finished (moving it to the airport on Sunday) my RV-7A slider. If you had asked me about slider regrets back when I was trying to bend that $%^& frame into shape, I would have said "I'm definitely going tip-up on my next RV." ;-)

However, now that that pain has been blotted from my memory, I'm basically happy with my decision. The sliding track/latch mechanism is just cool.

Tufting tests are on Dan's site

you mentioned the tests with the little ribbons?

on dan's site. they flew around and tried to get a visual on the airflow.

and then pop owens posted on the Socal RVlist on yahoo, that his son Laird installed somes rails to help the slider from letting in cold air.

I've seen their 6 a hundred times but never noticed them. I want to know now so I can integrate that into my plane.

HTH, mark

laird also makes carbon kelvar pieces like the stunning Glassair style panel. to fit 6,7 and 9's.

Tip or slide -- many comparisons posted online.

I posted this page with a lot of pros and cons about canopy choices for the RV-7's and RV-9's. There are two pictures of one builder who has built both. If you look up his first airplane on the web, you find an NTSB report where he flipped it in a field. It was a tip-up canopy RV-9A. His second airplane is also an RV-9A, but with a slider using the Meske tip-up modification for baggage access. That is the same configuration I have on my RV-9A Enterprise. You can see all this information at this link:

http://www.n2prise.org/TipSlide.htm

Jerry K. Thorne
www.n2prise.org

I am starting the Harrier RAG right now. The Harrier canopy has to be the best USMC/Navy canopy at the current time (very large slider). I wouldn't trade the Harrier for the F-16, but I sure would like the unobstructed open view they have out front. I'm new to the site, and thinking about an RV-7 someday.

Build9A said:
I have heard the slider is a little more difficult to build.

I'm building a slider in the same hangar as a friend who is building a tip-up. We've come to the conclusion it's a "choose your poison" kind of thing. Both designs will cause you moments of frustration during construction, so build the one you think you'll like best once it's finished.

Mark

JohnJacobsen said:
I like the safety of having the roll bar in front to. Not to mention that in the case of roll over I think the slider would be easier to get out of.
Its gonna be a VFR panel, thinkin of the Dynon EFIS and engine monitor, with a hand held GPS and one radio.
Others have addressed the rollbar location, so I'll leave that one alone.

As for getting out after flipping over on the ground... Anybody who thinks this is easier on a slider, try this. Go to Vans website and look at the side view of the 6 or 7 or 9. Place a straight-edge along the top of the plane, from the canopy to the tip of the vertical tail. Without even taking into account the vert tail digging into the ground, or the cowl collapsing under the weight, I think you'll see the problem. And keep in mind that to open the canopy, it must go straight up about an inch before it will slide back.

I think you'll see that the tip up is not easy, and likely not possible, to open while inverted. With either design, have a plan B, ie. a canopy breaker handy.

Can you bail out of a slider?

Is it possible to escape from a slider in flight? Because of air pressure pushing the canopy forward in flight, it seems necessary to design a quick release mechanism for the forward canopy hold downs if one has any plans to wear a parachute in a slider. Has anyone seen/done this? Also, one of the factors I considered when choosing the slider was the protection it offered in a collision with wires, which could happen in a off airport emergency landing. Hitting wires in a tip-up would be deadly, much less so in a slider because the forward stay brace would tend to deflect the wires over the tops of the occupants' heads.
Steve, 7A slider, starting canopy soon.

Stephen Lindberg said:
Is it possible to escape from a slider in flight? Because of air pressure pushing the canopy forward in flight, it seems necessary to design a quick release mechanism for the forward canopy hold downs if one has any plans to wear a parachute in a slider. Has anyone seen/done this?

To my knowledge no one has bailed out of an RV (true? false?) slider or tip up.

You definitely can not open the slider in flight - at least I found that to be true. However it is trivial to attach the front rollers with removable pull pins.

Kevin

I don't think the slider would add any protection from a wire strike. Helicopter wire cutters are very beefy and they don't always work. If you prop survives the strike, think of the resulting "explosion" of plexi, accompanying sparks (if a power line) followed by the instantaneous hurricane in the face. By definition, if you hit wires, you will be close to the ground or the tower or both. You would likely be in the ground before you knew what happened.

My opinion only, but I'm not willing to test the theory. I think this idea is a pig-in-a-poke.

Jekyll

Highflight said:
You tried?

Yes - not intentionally - forgot to latch it and apparently was a bit too fast with my run-up checklist. And as reported by others - the canopy just stayed fixed at about 1/2" open. I flew away from the airport and then did a little cautious experimenting.

I could not move the canopy from this position (either fore or aft) until I slowed the plane down to about 65 kts. At that point I could apply sizable pressure and close the canopy and continue on my way. I did not try to open the canopy while at this low speed though (for obvious reasons).

Last edited:
Any tip-over RV8 canopies been built?

I agree about the part saying to simply "build the one you like". That is the only "rational" way to decide.

Perhaps keeping water out is a real operational consideration with a tip-up. One of the guys from around here had gps problems in FL last week owing to water somehow getting in when the wind blew it up under the canopy cover.

Has anyone built an -8 with the RV4 style tip over? If eliminating the roll bar from view is that important, I would think that someone would have built an 8 that way.

Baggage access, skis, and a snowboard

While I was leaning towards the slider in the first place, what clinched it was the ability for loading skis and snowboard to the rear of the plane. I don't think I would have been able to do this with the tipup. Also, with a tip-up mod to the slider, baggage access is just great. I have yet to implement the tip-up mod though.

Alfio

AlexPeterson said:
Perhaps keeping water out is a real operational consideration with a tip-up. One of the guys from around here had gps problems in FL last week owing to water somehow getting in when the wind blew it up under the canopy cover.
At SnF I saw a -6 tip-up where the guy took some rip stop nylon and Velcroed it over the gap between the panel and the sub-panel. It worked as a kind of rain gutter and kept water out of his panel when he opened his canopy.

Looked like a good solution to me.

I was 100% set on a tip-up until about a month ago. The main benifit of the tip-up for ME was the ability to jettison it in flight. Now I'm thinking that a much easier way to get out (and probably more reliable) is a spring loaded canopy cracker....couple shots, shatter the plexi, and away I go.

I dunno...I'll change my mind again in a few months.

John, try to fly in both.. and then pick which one you like better :) there's no clear "winner" and that's why we have this choice.

Wire strike protection

Jekyll said:
I don't think the slider would add any protection from a wire strike. Helicopter wire cutters are very beefy and they don't always work. If you prop survives the strike, think of the resulting "explosion" of plexi, accompanying sparks (if a power line) followed by the instantaneous hurricane in the face. By definition, if you hit wires, you will be close to the ground or the tower or both. You would likely be in the ground before you knew what happened.

My opinion only, but I'm not willing to test the theory. I think this idea is a pig-in-a-poke.

Jekyll

Think so? Try this thought experiment: The engine quits just after take-off, or maybe you attempt to add a bit of power on final and nothing is there. Now you are going through the wires. Do you want that steel post and slider frame in front of you or not? Now, you may always fly out of big public airports with clear appoaches and think this could never happen to you, and you are probably right. But lots of private strips have wires on the ends and you have to get close to the wires on take-off and especially landing if you are going to use the strip. On a less theoretical note, I can offhand recall two incidents in which airplanes flown by pilots I knew went through wires and flew back to the airport. They were cropdusters (Pawnees), but even so an encounter with wires isn't necessarily incapacitating. Also, I used to work with a pilot who bore the scars on her face from a long ago flight through wires at the hands of her idiot show-off boyfriend. They flew back home, too. Steve 7A slider.

hitting something there Mark???

mark manda said:
did the Israeli's use P-51's to cut telephone lines in the war of ......?

What are you talking about Mark????? Oh, I see what time you posted that comment. :D

About hitting power wires in an RV. I know of one person that did it in an RV_A model. The spinner was scratched and there were burn marks on the wings, no ther damage. No it wasn't me, I hit a .........

Instrument panel top??

Hello,

I have not gone through each and every post about this topic, but I did not notice anybody mention the way the top of the instrument panel looks. I have looked at many tip-up pictures, when they are open, and you look straight in the mess of wires, hoses, fittings and the back of the instruments. Is this like that when everything is finished, or did I happen to catch pictures of planes that still have to be finished with an "instrument panel top cover" ?

Tonny

Anybody with any comments on the visible "mess" behind the instrument panel of the tip-up? I checked some more pictures of tip-ups and it looks like it is supposed to be that way? Does anybody have a cover over it so you do not see this when you open the canopy?

Regards, Tonny

If you plan the wiring and plumbing and do a neat install, it doesn't have to be a mess and you will be proud to show your work off.

Roberta

robertahegy said:
If you plan the wiring and plumbing and do a neat install, it doesn't have to be a mess and you will be proud to show your work off.

One thing that really helps:

Make an excel spreadsheet listing every wire bundle (i.e. aft fuse, left wing, engine etc...). Then list the size (and label?) of each wire from your schematic/other drawings/calcs. Then you can start pulling wires and trying them down in nice bundles all the way up to the panel.

This leaves you with a smallish number of bundles and each bundle can be tidy with a small number of service loops to allow sections of the panel to be removed without pain.

Last edited:
All my wires run on a side to side horizontal aluminium 3/4" angle under the panel . They only go to the designated destination mostly vertically and neatly run. I think in a kit builders mind it could look quite "trick" to show off behind his panel. It doesnt have to be spagetti.

I've built both... RV6A tipup and RV9A slider. Slider is definitely more difficult to build "right". Harder to get the skirt tight and overall more time-consuming to build. The tip-up is easier to get a nice airtight fit and the vis is outstanding. I find the slider vis to be just fine. The tip-up is easier to get in and out of, too. Easier to use the tip-up cabin frame behind the seat to lower/raise yourself in and out. Slider is "cooler" though...

Proud of mine

Pilottonny said:
Anybody with any comments on the visible "mess" behind the instrument panel of the tip-up? I checked some more pictures of tip-ups and it looks like it is supposed to be that way? Does anybody have a cover over it so you do not see this when you open the canopy?

Regards, Tonny

I don't have a mess at all behind mine. The Approach Systems wiring hub is visible as is the AF2500 brain box. On the other side is the computer intefaces plugs for the AF2500 and Dynon. Also visible is the Dynon, TruTrak T&B. The center area contains radio stack. Nothing unsightly at all.

As Roberta noted, if you do a little planning you can make things look great.

Tip up easy in and out? Not for me...

The very first RV-9A I sat in was a tip up and I could hardly get in or out. the sliders work well for me and I use the bulkhead behind the seats to my advantage also. That center bar up front is the key for me, and I also beefed up my arm rests giving another aid for getting settled or climbing out without hurting anything inside or me.

http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a031.htm#Armrest_Mod

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ 171.7 hours
www.n2prise.org

rv72004 said:
All my wires run on a side to side horizontal aluminium 3/4" angle under the panel . They only go to the designated destination mostly vertically and neatly run. I think in a kit builders mind it could look quite "trick" to show off behind his panel. It doesnt have to be spagetti.

Yeah, think of it like the pimped out car stereo installations where they put plexiglass on the boxes so you can see the neon lights that light up the wiring connections of the telephone cable size wires with the cool colors of insulation.

It would be pretty embarrasing though if you did have a rat's nest back there and the canopy was open. One thing I regret from my last airplane is not being more particular about the wiring...it's very easy to get in a hurry.

Back to the thread, though. I think getting in to a slider is easier, especially if you have the handles on the roll bar. But, my tip up had an amazing view that I really enjoyed and would do it just like that again if I were to build something side by side. (Sorry, but I'm hooked on centerline airplanes now)

The only time I don't like the slider on the -8 is while holding station in formation. The rollbar looks positively HUGE sometimes when you're trying to look through it. Otherwise, for ground ops, it's excellent, on hot days, I slide that sucker open pronto after landing and enjoy the breeze. I once had a 6A tipper drop right onto my noggin while getting in and that pretty much proved to me straight away that configuration is not for me. Still, you can't beat the view of the tipup.

canopys

I am building a slider. I am building a nose dragger. I am putting on a two blade prop. That said, I like the looks of a three blade tail wheel slider by far the best. Why am I building a nose dragen two bladed sliding canopy plane? It's faster, two blades. Its safer, nose dragen slider. I could be wrong but I think not and thats what counts.
Build what you like best, thats what counts, but build.
N51HS

Back