What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can anyone provide RV-4 dual instruction?

mtnsoar

I'm New Here
After dreaming about it for years, I'm finally purchasing an RV-4. (And I'm excited!) Insurance is dictating 15 hours dual instruction in make/model before I can solo it. It's based 666.4 nm from my home base.... not that I've checked.... and coordinating my schedule and the current owner/CFI's schedule, along w/ weather unpredictables, is why I'm attempting to find someone near-ish to SW Colorado who can provide 10-15 hours dual in an RV-4. I'm a commercial glider, private single engine land w/ instrument privileges pilot, w/ high performance, complex, and tailwheel endorsements. I'd love to hear back from anyone who knows someone who heard about.....

Looking forward to the "RV grin..."
Kevin

Love to help but

I am a CFI with at least 900 hours in the RV-4, however I don't think I will be able to help you directly. Are both you and the plane in the CO area?

The biggest challenge is no dual controls? :eek:

It sounds like you are a great candidate, but mention this only because it is not like a side by side. It will be a bit of an issue with any CFI. The good news a simple rear rudder peddle set-up and rear seat throttle extension is not hard to add, even a semi temporarily installation.

Access to the throttle and rudder are key. I would hate to be sitting in the back and have no control when a guy ground loops his new plane. So even if I could do it, I would hesitant because of this. No reflection on you or anyone, just I would not be effective as a safety pilot. Since you are really qualified as PIC, current, qualified, from a FAR stand point, you are PIC, so you don't need a CFI as far as the FAA cares. I understand the insurance aspect and it is a good idea. Are you insured for instruction during this 15 hour dual period? If so than the CFI will need controls for the insurance to be in effect. Other wise they might as well be on the ground and radio up instructions.

The 15 hours is a bit steep, but may reflect your tail wheel time. To learn to fly it and land should take 1/3 of this. The training is easy.

As a safety pilot/instructor I would not be able to help if things get out of hand. I would just be along for the ride. Hummmm. Like I said clips on the rudder cables for rear seater pedals and an extension shaft on the throttle (with a side quadrant) is easy to do. It would be goodness to add these. I had to when I got formation checked out. The safety pilot in the back seat of my RV-4 needed a throttle.

Giving "dual" would not be that hard, but without instruments it would also be a small challenge. Need help e-mail me.

G CFI/ATP

Last edited:
mtnsoar said:
Insurance is dictating 15 hours dual instruction in make/model before I can solo it. (snip) I'm a commercial glider, private single engine land w/ instrument privileges pilot, w/ high performance, complex, and tailwheel endorsements. (snip)
Looking forward to the "RV grin..."
Kevin

Hi Kevin. I was in a similar position before the first flight of my RV-8. I was current in an RV-8A, a Decathlon, and a Cessna 140. I had been signed off twice in two different RV-6s by different instructors. My insurance agent was firm that an RV-6 was too different from an RV-8.

I politely asked to speak directly to the underwriter and explained my situation, pointing out that the RV-8 was a terrible (IMHO) trainer and the back seat rudder pedals didn't work all that well (and my airplane doesn't have them anyway). I pointed out that I could do "busywork" 15 hours of droning around, but transition training in an RV-6 or 7 was more valuable and I had done that already, although I was willing to do more if it made him feel better.

He listened to me and asked "would you be willing to not carry passengers until you had 25 hours solo?"

I said that wouldn't be a problem, especially since I had a 40-hour test period.

I would ask if a transition could be made in one of the several RV-6s available.

James Freeman
P.S. If you do check out in a -6, make sure you make at least one flight ballasted to the aft part of the envelope. This is the only real "gotcha" in the RV-4. It's a different animal two up compared to solo.

Back