What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

another grt eis4000 question,

lawrence

Well Known Member
thanks for replys to my previous question. have more. the tach wire is to be wired ,through the firewall,to the p-lead POST ON either magnito? (i only need rpm on one mag for now) or wire it to the mag switch post,that the mag p-lead hooks to,ON THE MAG SWITCH? also,the instructions say the prefered ground is TO the engine. this means to run the eis ground wire from the eis,through the fire wall, to the engine? how have others attached these two wires? (lycoming o-320,2 mags,carb.) thanks---lawrence---

lawrence said:
thanks for replys to my previous question. have more. the tach wire is to be wired ,through the firewall,to the p-lead POST ON either magnito? (i only need rpm on one mag for now) or wire it to the mag switch post,that the mag p-lead hooks to,ON THE MAG SWITCH? also,the instructions say the prefered ground is TO the engine. this means to run the eis ground wire from the eis,through the fire wall, to the engine? how have others attached these two wires? (lycoming o-320,2 mags,carb.) thanks---lawrence---

Pull the tach signal from the mag switch. No need to run a second wire. If you are running two toggle switches there is an easy way to wire up the switches so you can get a tach signal all time no matter which mag you have turned off. There probably is a way to do that with a keyed switch but I never looked into it.

About the ground. I have the ground wire going to a ground bus on the firewall then forward of the firewall is the ground strap to the battery and the engine. Been flying for over 200 hours with that setup and no problems so far.

another EIS question

We started Fossil's machine for the first time this morning. Mattituck's engine ran very nice.

We did have a couple minor EIS questions, tho. First of all, the EIS screen blanks out when cranking. Is this normal. or did we goof somewhere? Also, the oil pressure read too high (99). Any ideas here?

Thanks,

Hwood

Hwood said:
We started Fossil's machine for the first time this morning. Mattituck's engine ran very nice.

We did have a couple minor EIS questions, tho. First of all, the EIS screen blanks out when cranking. Is this normal. or did we goof somewhere? Also, the oil pressure read too high (99). Any ideas here?

Thanks,

Hwood

You CAN undervolt the EIS during cranking, and make it reboot, so I'd call that normal. Fortunately, it reboots faster than the oil pressure can come up, so it's no big deal. Oil Press reading 99? I'd have to go study the manual to see if the calibration factors are adjustable or that.

Paul

High Oil Press

The Oil Press has a dedicated input and so does not have a AUX SF (Auxilliary Scale Factor) like the AUX inputs.

When the oil is cold -less than 50?C- I see an oil pressure around 99psi at Take-off RPM. And when I say cold, I mean Aussie cold. That is OAT around 20?C (70?F).

Might be colder where you live.
Pete.

Thanks

Thanks. All good input.

It was about 70 degrees (Alabama cold), so that might be a factor. Still seems a bit high.

Hwood

I would back off the oil pressure adjuster, or remove some washers from the top of the pressure relief spring, until you get the oil pressure to read. May also be worth checking with a gauge that you know works.

Pete

penguin said:
I would back off the oil pressure adjuster, or remove some washers from the top of the pressure relief spring, until you get the oil pressure to read. May also be worth checking with a gauge that you know works.

Pete

Befoe I touched a thing on a brand new Mattituck engine (which they adjusted in the test cell), I'd assume a gauging problem. As Pete said - check with a regular gauge, and assume something amiss in the EIS sensor or wiring.

I so hurt

I feel ignored.
Don't touch anything.
As I said, the oil pressure will be ABOVE normal UNTIL THE OIL TEMP IS NORMAL
Pete.

fodrv7 said:
I feel ignored.
Don't touch anything.
As I said, the oil pressure will be ABOVE normal UNTIL THE OIL TEMP IS NORMAL
Pete.

I agree that you should not look at the engine, but I do think your gauge may be off. If the oil system is working correctly you should not have high oil pressure after start up. My engine doesn't vary more than a few PSI. That's from well below zero to over 100 F ambient.

In my job I instrument vehicles almost every day. If I have data that doesn't make sense most every time it's the data that's wrong, not the vehicle. I would check the gauge before I think the engine has a problem.

PS Don't worry about the EIS restarting after engine start up, it'snot an issue. A few flashes of the alarm light and all is well.

Last edited:
99 is NORMAL

Lyc specs* call for 95-115 psi oil pressure for start up warm up.

After warm up normal 55-95 psi (flying around)

IDLE 25 psi min

Breath in and out, deep breaths, everything will be OK. :)

G

*Assuming a (I)O360/O360 (180HP)

Yeah, Lycoming have bumped up the oil pressure as their fix for some of the oil flow problems in their O-360, O-320 engines. The new engines come set this way. They wanted to get more oil flow up into the heads in the vicinity of the exhaust valves for cooling.

Some engine builders have been building in "looser" tolerances in the hydraulic valve lifters to acheive the same effect. More oil volume in the heads.

Cheers, Pete

N916K said:
Pull the tach signal from the mag switch. No need to run a second wire. If you are running two toggle switches there is an easy way to wire up the switches so you can get a tach signal all time no matter which mag you have turned off. There probably is a way to do that with a keyed switch but I never looked into it.

My keyed switch has a jumper on one mag.
Are you saying I could attached the tach wire here?
I'm also getting ready to start my engine for the first time.
All systems on my EIS are looking good at this point.
EIS is reporting EGT, OilT, FuelP.
BTW, is the OAT probe standard? I didn't get any probe with my setup.
I do have the Dynon OAT. Has anyone used the same probe for EIS reporting?

Last edited:
Back