What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Classic Aero Interior Question

kbehrent

Well Known Member
I've decided to go with the Classic Aero Aviator series seats and side panels. for my RV-9A slider. I would appreciate feedback/comments on the following:

1) Are headrests worth it? Does it really limit your ability to reach in the baggage compartment while seated?

2) Leather/Vinyl vs Ultra Leather? I would prefer Leather for the seats, but it appears if you choose to go Ultra Leather for the side panels to save weight, you have to use Ultra Leather for the seats or colors may not match up. Also, it appears from the picture they provide, the Ultra Leather wrinkles more than the Leather/Vinyl option.

Thanks

I have them (leather) in my RV7A and love them, they are worth every penny. I had condisered the headrest but glad I did not get them. The added weight was my main reason for not getting them but after using them for the last two years, I was very happy for not getting them mostly for the restriction they create to the baggage area.

Hope this helps.

I have the headrest on mine.

My wife love them, but I don't like the way the seat belts route over them. It is hard to get them to route on either side and stay there.
It is also a little inconvenient when loading in and out of the baggage area.

Kent

Can't the back of seats easily be rotated forward to give more access to the baggage area? We are considering the headrest seats from CAD as well.

Hi Trevor...

Can't the back of seats easily be rotated forward to give more access to the baggage area? We are considering the headrest seats from CAD as well.

The seat frame is solid and is hinged at the floor like the original seat. The whole thing rotates forward at the floor and is stopped by the panel. But without the headrest you would not need to move the seat forward, just load over it.

You can come out to Lenhardt's to look at my 9A if you want.

Kent

I appreciate the comments and I'm not surprised by the headrest comments.

Loading the baggage compartment is not a real factor for me since I installed a "tilt" option to my slider. However, I am much concern about being able to reach into the baggage compartment to get access to my OX bottle to turn on/off. I don't think that's doable now with the headrests.

On my other question, CAD is now offering the Ultra-Leather option instead of Leather. It's a real weight saver, but I'm concerned on the look and wear compared to leather. Also, CAD cautions that UL does wrinkle more on the side panels. Anybody go with the UL option and how do they look and wear?

Thanks

O2 - Not a problem.

I am much concern about being able to reach into the baggage compartment to get access to my OX bottle to turn on/off. I don't think that's doable now with the headrests.

Thanks

In my plane, I mounted the O2 behind the pax seat and against the fuse. side. I can easily reach behind the pax seat and adjust or inspect the top of the O2 tank.

Access to other areas are a little more restricted, being that my headrest is restricting me from reaching behind my seat.

Kent

In my plane, I mounted the O2 behind the pax seat and against the fuse. side. I can easily reach behind the pax seat and adjust or inspect the top of the O2 tank.

Access to other areas are a little more restricted, being that my headrest is restricting me from reaching behind my seat.

Kent

I'm planning on placing my 02 in the same location. Good to know that you can reach it. Did you go with their side panels? If so, what material did you go with and do you like them?

After 364 hours in my 9A, I know that anything stashed in the back is pretty much out of reach during flight, especially when flying solo. I have the lo-buck Sportsman seats.

We went with the head rest's they do restrict reach but if you cn't reach something the passenger (my wife) can. They are nice to have on a long cruise. We have every thing they sold and bought more material to cover things they didn't. Up the front side panels and along the firewall and around the rear windows. Don't know about the lite leather but the normal seat leather and the delux side panels are real nice. The only problem is where the two different panels butt together they flair out. I made a square patch with fabric over a piece of aluminum scrap and screwed it over the two pieces.

how do the side panels attach? and what are you guys doing for sound deadening, say i wanted to use dynamat? how would that work?

I have the ultra leather full interior and love it. No signs of wrinkling and the stuff is really tough. Probably harder to scratch than leather in my opinion. Anyway, my planes heavy enough already. There is a cost to all that comfort.

We used a high density rubber stuff. I don't remember where we got it. It is light and thick material but I don't think it was worth the money. I am still researching and have not seen anything I like. I would like something that keeps out the temperature and noise both at the same time. There is a lot of room behind the panels for insulation. The trick is finding the right stuff. The right stuff will be found when I can fly with out my head set. I don't think that will be possible due to most of the noise coming thru the canopy glass.

Back