What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B or XM

Is anyone out there using the new ads-b system?

What are your thoughts?

It's absolutely great in my humble opinion.
We're implementing now and its kind of in Beta, much like the system itself.

Wx via ADS-B also works real well (Nexrad, METARs, TAFs, etc).

Now all I want is for the rest of the World to do the same...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

ADS-B or WX

I am in the process of changing over to ADS-B from WX but have not completed the change over yet.

After reading Tim Olson's write up:

http://myrv10.com/N104CD/Trips/California_2010/index.html

I am convinced that with ADS-B and my ipad Foreflight subscription that it is only a matter of time before I cancel my WX subscription.

My biggest complaints about WX, other than the price, is that I will loss my connection to WX 2-3 times per year and each time it is a pain to get a new hit sent by WX to my unit so that it will pick up again.

I have played with it on my iPad. The turnoff for me is the base map- it's really pretty crude. On the plus side, it has a radar overlay, and it can give you metars VERBALLY. Haven't seen that elsewhere. However, if you are also using the iPad for music, the verbal metars disrupt the music and it won't restart on it's own.

I think you can check it out for free, so why not?

Erich

IMy biggest complaints about WX, other than the price, is that I will loss my connection to WX 2-3 times per year and each time it is a pain to get a new hit sent by WX to my unit so that it will pick up again.

This has clearly been an issue for some, as it comes up again and again on the forums. I have been fortunate, I guess in that in four or more years of XM use, I have only once had a disconnect, and that was becasue they had a database error with their accounts, and scrubbed some subscriptions- function was restored with a phone call. Of course, my 696 goes out and sees the sky on every flight, and that is about five times a week, so "dormant" periods are not an issue for me.

My concern with ADS-B is that the coverage is not yet universal. I can pretty much count on getting satellite reception anywhere, all the time - and reliable weather information is extremely important to me. When the ADS-B system is complete, then it will be an interesting trade-off, but right now, I want Wx anywhere I fly, and satellite is currently the only answer for that.

Paul

My concern with ADS-B is that the coverage is not yet universal. I can pretty much count on getting satellite reception anywhere, all the time - and reliable weather information is extremely important to me. When the ADS-B system is complete, then it will be an interesting trade-off, but right now, I want Wx anywhere I fly, and satellite is currently the only answer for that.

Paul

It is hard to plan a panel for a project that will be completed in the future when we dont know when ADS-B will be fully functional across the US.

It looks like I will have the -10 flying at very best by the end of this year and am assuming that by then most of the US coverage will be availible.

I dont want to install XM only to change it 1 year after completion.

I'm totally against being required to buy and install active avionics for someone else's use. I get really peeved when I read someone encourage goverment officials to add regulation and expense to flying. :mad:
This sound a lot like mandatory health insurance.
Passive collision avoidance and XM weather are fine. You can buy and install it in your own plane, upgrade it or replace it as improvements come along, and your wallet can handle it.
ADS-B is great for government officials and avionics manufacturers. For us, not so much. It's high tech now, but will be passed up soon with something better. Hopefully passive.
GA is getting so expensive now, that the FAA considers thousands of dollars to be an insignificant expense when they spend your money by mandate.
We should always work together to keep aviation affordable and regulation minimal.
80% of the people that start flying give up because of the cost. We lament the loss of pilots, yet some encourage expensive mandates..I don't get it.
XM is my choice.

I'm totally against being required to buy and install active avionics for someone else's use.
Passive collision avoidance and XM weather are fine. You can buy and install it in your own plane, upgrade it or replace it as improvements come along, and your wallet can handle it.
ADS-B is great for government officials and avionics manufacturers. For us, not so much. It's high tech now, but will be passed up soon with something better. Hopefully passive.
GA is getting so expensive now, that the FAA considers thousands of dollars to be an insignificant expense when they spend your money by mandate.
We should always work together to keep aviation affordable and regulation minimal.
80% of the people that start flying give up because of the cost. We lament the loss of pilots, yet some encourage expensive mandates..I don't get it.
XM is my choice.

I have a new perspective on things these days since both the wife and I are currently unemployed. "Back in the day" when we were both working I wouldn't think twice about dropping a few grand on an upgrade, well those days are gone (at least for now). Just buying gas now is something I have to justify and many of our "lets just go get lunch" trips are being canceled due to the fuel budget.

Thankfully I'm very happy with my VFR panel the way it is, however if I was forced to upgrade to ADS-B now it would really hurt. I think the technology is great but the escalating costs of aviation requires real dedication to stay in the game.

At least I have another 9 years to save up :D

Back