What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Locks?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I want to make a simple rudder lock for those times when I have to park outside on a windy day, and just want to keep it simple and light. I have heard where folks just make a "U"-shaped rod that drops in a hole in the rudder stop and the horn - that sounds simple enough! Before I create one from descriptions alone, does anyone happen to have a picture they would like to share?

I already have a BIG "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT streamer from an F-16 to attach to it... :D

Paul

Center the tailwheel, lock the rudder? I thought only the nosewheel guys need rudder locks?

Not sure if this works on an -8, but with this you don't need to worry about forgetting to remove it.. It's just PVC with a cut and a bolt to allow the break.

U Bolt, wing nut, red flag

Paul: I used a 1/4" u-bolt purchased from the aircraft isle at Lowes. The one I used looks like the ones show at this link: http://doityourself.com/shop/uboltsznupto4.htm
I also bought a 1/4 inch wing nut (you really only need the nut on one side), drilled a 1/4" hole in the rudder stop and just to the rear of where the rudder cable is connected to the rudder. Slip it in, wing nut on, done. Sorry, I don't have a picture. Total cost was about $2.00 plus the red flag. If you use this method, don't forget your preflight. And, put the rudder lock on the pilot side. Jack

Ironflight said:
I have heard where folks just make a "U"-shaped rod that drops in a hole in the rudder stop and the horn - that sounds simple enough!

I know exactly what you mean. My tech advisor showed me his a couple of weeks ago. I don;t have a photo but if someone else doesn't come up with one I can get you one eventually. He had used a piece of paino wire so it weighed next to nothing and was very simple. Simply two 90 degree bends and drop it through two holes, one in the rudder stop (which was a little heavier duty than the standard one, it was made fro ma piece of alum angle) and one in the rudder horn.

Maybe someone else will have a photo.

Sorry no Photos

Mine are made from steel piano hinge wire (3/32" as I recall). I first made one for one side only but it was inadequate in a wind it actually worked its way out one time as compression and tension forces were applied. I made on for the other side as well and it no longer moves - period! I have them tied together with nylon wire bundle lacing tape (flat string) which hangs down below the fuselage with an obvious red flag tied in the bottom of the loop. I have one hole in each horn and each stop. I bent the wires at the proper locations to fit the holes when the rudder is centered.

Bob Axsom

I used 1/4" steel rod bent into a [ shape with a hole drilled in one end. It slips into holes drilled in the rudder horn and stop and is held in place with a hairpin clip. I have a red remove before flight banner on it. Very small and light. If you heat the rod with a torch, you can bend nice tight corners and keep it small. I just use the seatbelt on the stick for the elevator and aileron lock.

Roberta

Good Point Dan...

dan said:
Center the tailwheel, lock the rudder? I thought only the nosewheel guys need rudder locks?

Well....yeah, I guess I hadn't thought about it! :eek: I guess I always end up pushing the plane into the hangar, so the tailwheel is flipped around, and the rudder is released...or I swing into a parking spot, and the wheel is offset...I guess I'll see how the rudder feels if I park it "right" before drilling those two holes...Dan wins for the lightest solution!

Thanks for the other replies - the piano wire "staple" was what I was remembering.

Paul

re: red flags and preflights.

One way to do it is either make a little holder (a clipboard with the right number of holes drilled into it to hold the red flags...clip your preflight checklist to it) or print on your checklist the number of red flags, locks, whatever you should have at the end of the preflight. Last step on the checklist is check all the holes, or count up the "remove before flight" thingies.

Maybe I'm the only one that didn't figure this out on his own because it's so totally obvious, but I was clueless before I saw someone else doing it.

Where the load is.

I made mine out of GRP to slot over the Rudder Horn/Vert Stab and lined it with neoprene to protect the paint and gave it a coat of "Remove Red" paint
It was simple, it is where the load is (so the the control system is not shock loaded) and the rudder is held rock solid.
Pete.
PS. Sorry about the pic. Only one I could find.
P.

Like minds...

robertahegy said:
I used 1/4" steel rod bent into a [ shape with a hole drilled in one end. It slips into holes drilled in the rudder horn and stop and is held in place with a hairpin clip. I have a red remove before flight banner on it. Very small and light. If you heat the rod with a torch, you can bend nice tight corners and keep it small. I just use the seatbelt on the stick for the elevator and aileron lock.Roberta
I used a trashed VOR antenna (somewhat tapered) for stock and bent it in a vise because it was the only suitable material I could find on short notice during a particularly blustery day at the airport when the need for a rudder gust lock became glaringly apparent. A fishing tackle swivel attached to a couple of key rings helps keep the flag from balling up.
img0014170nb.jpg
img0009172wv.jpg

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Last edited:
Better Still

Very Neat.
I think I will swap my GRP lock for one like yours and Roberta's
Pete.

The lock Rick uses on Darla looks like the one I had seen. It is what I plan on using when I finally get to the point I need to think about it. :rolleyes:

Back