What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A Fuel Flow Transducer

Fedico94

I am seeking advice on placement of this device. One post on VAF suggests that this device could be placed downstream of the Fuel Injector body of my Silverhawk system on the IO-320 Aerosport engine with vertical induction and have reasonably good accuraccy. This is a -4 hose link up to the injection spider. The EI employee posts on VAF indicate that that this device would be best placed after the mechanical fuel pump since fuel likes to be pushed through the "Red Cube" FT-60 which is connected via a -6 (3/8 in) hose.
The connection between the the injector body and the distribution spider would be the easiest for my use and I could some of the hoses I already have. I think a bracket to the firewall would be more difficult to install at this stage of my construction and I would favor suspending the FT-60 between 2 hoses attached to the engine mount.

All these recommendations are fine and I don't disagree with them. However, mine is located just after the selector valve and before of the boost pump and is very accurate.
Before I installed the "red cube", I had the "FlowScan" in the same place for 17 years. I asked EI about the location and their answer was, "If the FlowScan worked there, so should the red cube." It does!
I've inspected a lot of RVs and have seen the FF transducer mounted about every place imaginable. Location seems to be not very critical.

Question Answered

The placement of the transducer between the servo and flow divider is an
acceptable (preferred) location to measure fuel flow. I have attached the
FP-5(L) installation manual for your review. I realize that you are not
using our instrument, but the transducer location and installation
instructions may be helpful.
Please let us know if you need additional information.
Thank you,
David Campbell

The complete manual for the FT-60 was omitted by Garmin, in fact if they had just supplied the last 5 pages of EI's manual it would of saved alot of confusion

Much like Mel, mine has been installed between the electric and mechanical fuel pump for the last 300 hours. I started with Floscan and changed it to EI and both very accurate, though the EI is even more accurate. The inaccuracy is about .02-.03 gallon for 30 gallons of fuel that I burn

All these recommendations are fine and I don't disagree with them. However, mine is located just after the selector valve and before of the boost pump and is very accurate.
Before I installed the "red cube", I had the "FlowScan" in the same place for 17 years. I asked EI about the location and their answer was, "If the FlowScan worked there, so should the red cube." It does!
I've inspected a lot of RVs and have seen the FF transducer mounted about every place imaginable. Location seems to be not very critical.

Once it's down stream of the fuel selector valve, does it really matter? I like your location for simplicity and ease of install.

After Selector

Do any of you guys have any pictures of an installation between the selector and the electric pump? It seems like there isn't enough room under the tunnel cover for the red cube.

On the earlier -6s there was no tunnel. The fuel line goes from the selector valve to the left side of the cockpit, then forward to the boost pump. My FF transducer is on the left side just forward of the wing spar where the fuel line turns forward to the pump.
Some people have cut a hole allowing the "cube" to stick up through the tunnel.

On the earlier -6s there was no tunnel. The fuel line goes from the selector valve to the left side of the cockpit, then forward to the boost pump. My FF transducer is on the left side just forward of the wing spar where the fuel line turns forward to the pump.
Some people have cut a hole allowing the "cube" to stick up through the tunnel.

That would be me :)
But it is closer to the FW and covered by the carpet. You would not even know it if you don't life up the carpet.

Back