What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Winnipeg in the spring...

n816kc

Well Known Member
I'm thinking about a trip to the Winnipeg area in late spring. I'd like to camp next to the plane for a day or two if possible and haven't been able to find much airport information other than diagrams. Can anyone in the area advise if there are any Winnipeg area airports that allow camping and maybe a good online reference for airports in the area? Thanks!

Winnipeg

This really doesn't answer your question, but Winnipeg in late spring will be like......mid June! And I bet you could strap a O-320 to some of those mosquitos;):D
Enjoy your trip to the Canadian prairies. great folks there. I know, I grew up there!
Regards

Glutton.....

........for punishment.

I have never lived in Winnipeg, but have done a few jobs there. Two bits of advice:

1 - Use a down filled sleeping bag - snow in spring is not unusual.

2 - Screw your tent tight to the ground or you will wake up in the next province in the morning! :D

Yeah, you'll need to define what you mean by "late spring". Trust me, I live here! You can ignore Lorne. The mosquitoes don't get that big until late July. :D

The airports that I'm familiar with: Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International, St. Andrews and Lyncrest don't have camping. They'd probably have no problem with you pitching a tent at Lyncrest but there's not much for facilities. There's a washroom but no shower, I think. There's a hotel right on the International airport grounds but that probably defeats the purpose of traveling cheap.

Send me a PM or post here and let me know when and what you want to do. I'm actually kind of scratching my head wondering why someone from Florida wants to come to Winnipeg!

Anyway, I'm happy to help any way I can.

Cheers,
Shamit

Winterpeg

I am suprised so many Peggers are on this site,spent 30 years in Winnipeg.There is also a small flying club that has a strip a few miles northwest of St. Andrews that would probably let you pitch a tent but not much for facilities.It is near the large duck preserve where they have 2 large ponds carved to look like ducks from the air.A cousin owned that strip until the divorce came and had to sell.Lyncrest is a nice grass strip also with alot of different planes but not much else.

Thanks for the info! I'm thinking about joining a friend on a spring bow hunt a few hours north of Winnipeg in late May. He's going commercial into JAR Int'l, I'd like to take my -6 and enjoy the travel (which I find hard to do with the airlines anymore). It's always nice to meet a few locals and camp by the wing. Shamit, I'll pm you when I pull the trigger on booking the trip.

Thanks again for the responses!

I am a member of the Springfield Flying Club (at Lyncrest), we just finished a beautiful new club house. Facilities for camping might be awkward but I really don't know, I do know some transient pilots have slept on the new couch and there is certainly lots of room. Yes we have a shower now...here is the link to the club;

http://www.lyncrest.org/

I have an email contact for you and can PM it if you like. Depending on when you are in town I might be able to drive you in to the city or where ever you like. There are also plenty of members on the field during the summer months who would be happy to accommodate.

If you are hunting north of Winnipeg anyway you might consider staying in Gimli (google Gimli Manitoba and Gimli Glider; its about 40 nm north of Winnipeg on the west shore of Lake Winnipeg), I know the airport manager there.

airport diagrams..

http://www.navcanada.ca/NavCanada.a...nfoProducts\CanadianAirportCharts\default.xml

right mouse click, save link as... (Windows 7 anyway)

and wait...its a big file (25 MB) to download :)

I was going to attach a Google Earth image but I can't seem to attach attachments (not sure why)

Last edited:
Winnipeg

Thanks Kenora, great info. I remember reading about the Gimli Glider incident, interesting story and some pretty neat history in the area. Gimli is much closer to game unit 13 than from Winnipeg, it looks like a much better roost for a week or so.

Winterpeg

Also for an easy place to stop for customs instead of landing at WPG international is a small airport south east of Winnipeg .The airport is on the border and runway is half on the US side and half on Canada.Land walk to office and clear customs.

Also for an easy place to stop for customs instead of landing at WPG international is a small airport south east of Winnipeg .The airport is on the border and runway is half on the US side and half on Canada.Land walk to office and clear customs.

Yep. It's Piney Pinecreek. We used to/from Oshkosh this summer. Piece of cake.

Booooo

Lived in Winnipeg for 3 years before moving to Vegas. I traveled all over Canada for my job at all different times of year. Unless you are going there for the fishing experience at Lake of the Woods, I'd go anywhere else in Canada, except Saskatchewan (same as Manitoba), There is beautiful country up there but Manitoba isn't it. Also, they are right in that spring doesn't begin to arrive until middish May. When that happens, you get a few weeks without the mosquitoes, then good luck pitching a tent!

Cheers

Winnipeg in May

It's taken a year, but I've got my trip north back up and running! Looking to fly into Swan River, May 18 or thereabouts. Plan to be there a week. Crossing the border at Piney Pinecreek sounds like a good plan. Wading through the AOPA site on flying to Canada, Customs sticker and eAPIS account on the way. Any issues with Swan River, thoughts or advice?

Its a nice little airport....at the very top left corner of the Winnipeg VFR Nav chart...you will need that and the Flin Flon chart and a Canadian Flight Supplement.

All that should be available either online or at the border.

A friend of mine flies out of there (keeps a C-150 there), if you post again a week before you depart I will check with "Al" and give you a pirep...

I was going to attach a page from the CFS but I don't seem to be permitted to post attachments (?) :(

edit.... I uploaded it to photbucket...

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii168/kenorakq/?action=view&current=CCF15032012_00001.jpg

Last edited:
Back