What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O320-a2b

PaulR

Well Known Member
I've found the above engine that has been taken off of a Lancair ( I think) with 300 SMOH. I haven't seen the log books yet and will in the next week. I've looked at Dan's lycoming page and see that it originally appears to have been a 150HP. The owner says at OH it was changed to 160 and modifyed to accept a CS prop. The data plate is missing. I'm just looking for suggestions of what to look for in the logs. I'm assuming since it came from a Lancair last, that it would have a fuel pump. I can't find anywhere to tell me what mount it is set up for. The price is right so I need to look. I'm along way from needing, but it's a good deal and I hate to pass it up if it will work.
Thanks for any help

PaulR
Wings

If it's a real A2B it has a Conical mount (it's probably off a Supercub or Pacer). Fuel pump may have been added, but it probably didn't originally have one. It was originally 150 HP, but it's just a higher compression ratio to get it to 160. I can't comment about the CS prop coversion though, since I've never seen one done personally.

"caveat emptor" - let the buyer beware

PaulR said:
I've found the above engine that has been taken off of a Lancair ( I think) with 300 SMOH. I haven't seen the log books yet and will in the next week. I've looked at Dan's lycoming page and see that it originally appears to have been a 150HP. The owner says at OH it was changed to 160 and modified to accept a CS prop. The data plate is missing. I'm just looking for suggestions of what to look for in the logs. I'm assuming since it came from a Lancair last, that it would have a fuel pump. I can't find anywhere to tell me what mount it is set up for. The price is right so I need to look. I'm along way from needing, but it's a good deal and I hate to pass it up if it will work.
Thanks for any help

PaulR
Wings
Hummmmmmmm a few flags went up; osxuser is correct. The conical mount? I am not a fan and I have had them. The Dynafocal is superior. I assume you are buying to use as is, right? Which is a good idea. The conical mount can be converted by ECI for about $600-$800 I recall, but requires the engine to be dis-assembled. May be economical if you are splitting the case already, but not just to make the mount mod. Not that the conical mount is bad, it just is not as smooth and they don't wear as well.

If the price is right and you go for it. Get the special LORD mounts for conical engines. I think Van sells them. They are very expensive but worth it. The rubber bushing that cost $20 for all four corners will not hack it.

The fuel pump, don't know but the A2B came on the Cherokee PA-28 "150", so good chance it had a pump.

C/S prop I don't know about that, sounds odd. It was indeed a fixed pitch engine. That usually means solid crank. You would have to change cranks, drill out and tap the prop oil control line (I would guess) and have an accessory pad drive for the governor. It very well may be a straight forward conversion? Especially if the engine came with a hollow crank, but just plugged. It will be obvious if it is set up for constant speed.

The HP up-grade is not really as well suited on all models of O320's due to a smaller bearing. At some point Lyc tried to save money and make a O320 "light". It is a good engine, but not really as well suited for the increase demand of higher compression pistons. There is a thread on that or search the web. Not sure what models are the good ones for HP upgrade and which ones are not. You can increase the compression on anyone of them, but the "small" bearing ones are not as good. Also the cylinders on the 150HP only I think has a different "choke". No expert, but you can check it out.

If he has the log book obviously get someone to go over them. How much is he asking. I don't want it, so you can send me a private message. Just curious.

I highly suggest you buy the Sacramento Sky Ranch Engineering manual. It has info on Lycs, and believe it addresses the 160 HP upgrade. Either way it is a must have book.

"caveat emptor" - let the buyer beware

Good luck. George

PS noticed you have the wings. Depending on how fast you work, an engine too early is not a good thing if you have to let it sit? Just a thought. :)

Last edited:
If it is a Narrow deck engine and has been converted to 160HP, then make sure they put 160 HP cylinders and cylinder hold down studs on the engine. If it is a w/d it doesn't make any difference as the cylinder hold down studs are the same for 150 and 160 on a w/d engine. If it is a n/d it should have barrel style internal wrenching nuts holding the cylinders on instead of hex type nuts. If it is correctly configured for 160HP, it will have narrow cylinder base flanges with plates between the flange and the cylinder base nut. If incorrect, it will have narrow cylinder flanges with spot faces for the barrel nuts without the reinforcing plates in-between the two.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Back