What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Spray paint that closely matches Vans powdercoat

wingtime

Well Known Member
While on a trip from Florida to Atlanta Motor speedway last week I had to make an unplanned stop at an Agri-supply store to repair my trailer. On the way home I stopped in again, this time to shop around. While I was wondering around the aisles I found they carried Majic brand tractor and implement spray enamel paint. I was excited since I had used this brand of white paint to paint the wheels of a classic Jeep of mine with good results and the store I bought it from no longer carried it. So I grabbed a can of white and started on my way. Then I noticed a familiar color. Could it be? Yup an almost perfect match for Vans light gray powder coat. So I grabbed can to try out.

Last night while priming some parts I remembered the spray paint I had bought on my trip. Curious if it would match I fetched the can from the tool box in my truck. Yes the cap is very close! So I painted the small elevator push rod. It came out great! It?s a tad darker but close enough for me. This paint takes FOREVER to dry however it?s nice and glossy and tough as nails once it does.

The spray paint is Majic brand Tractor and Implement spray enamel Light Ford Gray made by Yenkin-Majestic paint corporation Columbus Ohio.

Last edited:
Color codes

If your paint shop can work with European color codes, I've found that color code "RAL 7035" is spot on.

Mickey... I believe that's also the code for powdercoat. I had my panel powder coated and that was the color code. Matches great.

- Scott

Paint to match Van's Powder Coat

When building my -8 I wanted paint to match the powder coat color exactly, so I traced the manufacturer with Van's help. It's Cardinal Paint at www.cardinalpaint.com and you can order paint to exactly match the powder coat color if you like. They have locations across the country and will also ship orders.

The powder coat part number that matches RAL 7035 is T009-GR230. Van's choice of color was a little on the light side for our taste, so we ordered one shade darker to belnd with our leather seats - I got Van's to ship the metal parts uncoated and had them done locally with P008-GR230. Admittedly a little obsessive, but the results were fabulous and the paint from Cardial was an absolutely exact match since they make both products.

Happy spraying,

Phil Smith

I went to the local PPG dealer and had them make up a match for me with their acrylic urethane. They kept the formula with my name on it so if you need it, you might able to get it from them.

The company is: American Icon in St. Petersburg, FL

Bill Near
RV-7A
Landing gear fairings. Engine hung.

Back