What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P-Mags - Yessss !

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
New airplane, new Mattituck TMX IO-360 (thanks Mahlon).

Our experience with P-Mags has been excellent - starts 3rd blade every time, hot or cold.

Runs as smooth as a smooth thing.

Slightly warm, but we think that is just bedding in. CHT on No4 is persistently over 400 at 24/24 but it is probably oil cooler robbing. Blanked the oil cooler off (temps in the 50's) and all is well again.

We bought ours a while ago and followed the snags and the replies from Brad.

I am about to start an RV8 and guess what will ignite the engine..... yep :D

Installed P-Mag last week

I pulled my right mag and installed a p-mag last week. RV-9a with O-320. The Wx has been bad and have only flown a couple short test flights, but seems smooth and leans better. I still have a Tach issue to correct but am very happy so far.

Mike,

If your CHT's are a bit high, try installing the jumper and forcing them to run on the "A" curve. This assumes you don't have it in place. If that lowers the CHT's, then you can attach a PC to the ignitions (or buy one of our EICommander's) and reduce the advance shift one notch to around 22* BTC.

As for the engine starting on the third blade, you could also check the RMSD (Run Mode Start Delay) and see what it set to. The RMSD is the number of revolutions the engine will turn before the P-mags fire. This is good if you have an injected engine and want to clear the fuel before firing the plugs. If it is starting on the third blade, it is possible the RMSD is set to 3 and not 1.

I pulled my right mag and installed a p-mag last week. RV-9a with O-320. The Wx has been bad and have only flown a couple short test flights, but seems smooth and leans better. I still have a Tach issue to correct but am very happy so far.

Are you pulling the tach signal off the P-mag? You can connect to the P-mag with your PC and change the PPR (pulses per revolution) with the EICAD program you can download from E-mag Ignition's site.

Paul,

Welcome to VAF if you haven't been welcomed already. I was just in Spanaway at the end of the summer coming back from northern BC with a friend. Great little airport.

cheers,
greg

Back