What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What type suffix?

aadamson

Well Known Member
Ok, warning, this is a loaded question...

I'm curious what the GLASS guys are using for the type suffix when you *don't* have an IFR certified gps on board, but do have a non-certified GPS on board.

I already know that all the *certified GPS* guys will be a /G.

I've got a dual chelton with a 396 in the panel but no other GPS besides the built in in the chelton. I'm toying with the idea of adding the freeflight 1101 as that gets me to IFR TSO meeting, WAAS, LPV approach capabilities and /G. I have no idea on the price tho.

So while I save my money, I'm just curious what others are filing?

The simplest - it could be /U. Or maybe /R or /A (if you stretch to GPS subbing for DME, but then you are back to does the Sub have to be certified?)

So, if you'll share, I"m curious.

Thanks in advance,

Captain_John said:
Yes, but the mention of a VFR GPS is of interest to controller types.

CJ

SInce the advent of the satellites, I was told that too John - put "VFR GPS on board" in the remarks, and you'll get lots more "Fly Heading XXX until receiving..." clearances. Then I had someone in ATC tell me that the controllers on console never see the "remarks" filed in the plan (unless they make an effort to look it up). I don't know which is true - perhaps we have some ATC types lurking that can give us the answer.

And for Alan - I never file any suffix that I can't prove to an FAA lawyer! ;) It doesn't make any differnce how I interpret the rules.... :rolleyes:

Paul

/U is correct but ...

/U is correct but it is my observation that controllers are falling into a mode of operation that is GPS based regardless of what you put in the flight plan as your equipment suffix. I just accept it and follow the directions given in flight even though I know that by doing so I am illegal and I am giving an implied operational consent to the controller - not a good thing.

Bob Axsom

I do understand... But

Ok, so I would agree with the /U in principle.... However, it used to be, before certifed GPS's, that the old /R was used, that was when /R meant RNAV (now it means something else). But staying with that concept. Why wouldn't /I (the replacement for /R) or /A be appropriate. Afterall, the FAA has specified that GPS can be used for DME replacement. and I think anyone could argue that GPS is as good if not better than LORAN (used in the definition of /I).

Ultimately, for me, this is purely acedemic. I'm going to install the freeflight module, which is TSO-145a certfied and while it won't get me LPV approaches (yet) as it's only "Class 2" certified (enroute, terminal, approach, LNAV/VNAV - needs to be class 3 for LPV), it does solve most of the challenges with GPS in a tight panel environment and it legally lets me file /G.

But I am curious for the answer to this question, when you don't have a certified option.

Back