What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun N Fun

RobLyman

Anyone flying to Sun N Fun? I am thinking about either flying down and back on Friday in a club aircraft or sharing a ride down on Thursday afternoon or Friday and driving back with my family. My brother in law lives about 5 miles from LAL.

Anyone interested in sharing a ride either down & back or one way? I would love to get another RV ride going down there, but wouldn't be opposed to sharing a ride in a club aircraft out of NIP.

Not going this year

Last year was my year to go there and I don't really need to do that again since they eliminated the Sun 100 race. It certainly is a good place to see RVs (there were many rows of them last year) and get ideas for how to deal with some of the refinements like color schemes, upholstery, fairings, lighting, antenna placement and instrument panels. Enjoy the show.

Bob Axsom

ride to snf

hey there - I am flying down Thursday morning from Chattanooga and returning that night or very early Fri morning. We will be taking a Diamondstar DA-40 if interested

Joe

SNF flight plan from Houston

Here's my route to SNF from Houston. Any comments?

EYQ T78 5R8 HZR M24 CEW 54J MAI 68J 40J LAL

EYQ Houston Weiser
T78 Liberty, TX
5R8 De Quincy, LA
HZR False River Regional, LA (Fuel -- $3.49)
M24 Wiggins, MS (Fuel -- $2.99 a year ago)
CEW Crestview, FL (Elgin AFB MOA)
54J Defuniak Springs, FL (Fuel -- $3.48)
MAI Marrianna, FL
68J Tallahassee Commercial Airport
40J Perry, FL (Fuel -- $3.31)
LAL Lakeland, FL

I don't see any way to completely avoid the Elgin AFB MOA's, but this uses the designated VFR corridor. It's a long way around the top, otherwise.

Fuel stops at M24 and 40J on the way out and 54J and HZR on the way home, but I could use suggestions, since I'm not familiar with any of them. M24 hasn't reported their fuel price in long time, which is a bad sign, but I need the waypoint anyway to line up the corridor and it's the right distance. I guess I'll call and use it if it's fairly reasonable.

By the way, I used Airnav to find the fuel stops and Aeroplanner to calculate the routes and time. Are there better (free) tools to check out?

Anyone else going from Houston?

Jon,
Here's a little hint. Don't use LAL as final waypoint. Add a user waypoint at Lake Parker. That's where you'll be going to enter the arrival procedure.
Mel...DAR

54j

Jon,
I live near 54J and will check their fuel price today or tomorrow and post. If that doesn't work, I'm at 33J and we could make arrangements to get you fuel here if I know when you'll be through. The gentlemen that runs the airport flies alot for forestry and the city hasn't popped for self serve yet.
Not to worry about Eglin. The controllers are all really good and if you use flight following you'll talk to PNS App first and they will hand you off. At least that's what I've found.
PaulR
Wings

medic311 said:
hey there - I am flying down Thursday morning from Chattanooga and returning that night or very early Fri morning. We will be taking a Diamondstar DA-40 if interested

Joe
Joe, I would be up for the early Friday option. I'll pay my share. Can you stop at HEG (Herlong) on your way down? I only need one way.

Perry, Florida, 40J

40J is a good stop for fuel. However it does not have much for facilities. I live approximately 32 miles south at 39FD and occasionally use both Perry and Cross City. Both are easy in/out airports. Gerry Chancey, RV-9, N92GC & Cub NC88583

jonbakerok said:
Fuel stops at M24 and 40J on the way out and 54J and HZR on the way home, but I could use suggestions, since I'm not familiar with any of them. M24 hasn't reported their fuel price in long time, which is a bad sign, but I need the waypoint anyway to line up the corridor and it's the right distance. I guess I'll call and use it if it's fairly reasonable.

Not sure if Wiggins has fuel anymore. If grass doesn't bother you MS82, 20 miles south of Wiggins is an option. Give Danny Miller (228-832-5600) a call for the specifics.

Rat

Sorry Man

Hi - I'm sorry for not getting back with you in a timely manner. In the interim, I signed up for an Angel Flight on the way down so I am stuffed to the gill. Those Diamondstars are crap for baggage so I have to use the third seat for that. Sorry. My bad for not reading your PM earlier.

Maybe next time.

Joe

Back