What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bungled Rivet on VS skeleton

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
When starting to assembe my VS forward spar assembly I bungled one of the forward spar (VS702) to VS706 tip rib rivets. There are two 1/8" rivets in that location. I somehow did not have the material tightly together when I squeezed it and the rivet enlarged the hole as I squeezed--then, drilling it out, I probably did a poor job and enlarged it even more. Long story short, I've got an enlarged hole (again 1 of the 2 rivets that hold the 702 to the 706). Since the rivet call-outs were for 1/8 in rivets originally, what do I do now? (The kit doesn't come with any 5/32 rivets to go the next size larger--and I'm not sure I have anything to squeeze them with even if it did!).

In any case, this makes my first mis-set rivet that has required one of the infamous "oops" rivets.

Any suggestions?

Steve

alame--

alame said:
how big is the "new" hole? the only thing I can see you doing is go a dash or two rivit bigger

By this do you mean using say a 4-5 rather than a 4-4 rivet (as Ithe plans call for) or do you mean using a 5-something? I tried once using a 4-5 but it looked like the rivet wanted to wiggle around too much in the hole making me worried it would fold over when I squeezed it.

Out of curiousity, is using a longer rivet (of the same diameter) generally OK as long as I squeeze it successfully? Will it usually fill a slightly enlarged hole?

Thanks,

Steve

without knowing the actual size of the hole now and as you say it should take a 4-4, if a dash longer rivit will work to take up the "slop" thats what I would use, you just have to be careful when hitting it and use a "soft" rivit, you may have to bake them if they have hardened up, again if the hole diameter isn't too large this should work okay for you

Longer rivet

Try it with a longer rivet. Be aware that rivets that are longer are very easy to bend over. If the hole is slightly oversized, use a little longer rivet that you pre-squeeze with your hand sqeezer to slightly shorten the rivet and increase the diameter. If this trick doesn't work, you may have to drill the hole to the next larger diameter rivet.

Jim

Jim, I had never thought of that....that seems like a great idea, although a little tricky to do. I would propose that you get an intermediate size cherry max structural rivet since it is obviously a tough spot to buck/squeeze. These things have saved my butt several times

Will
#91056 Wings
http://home.comcast.net/~wcouv

Update on status of this problem...

I emailed Vans and was told just to drill another hole in between the first 2, rivet it with a solid rivet, and move on (from what other people seem to be reporting about Van's, this sort of seems to be kind of a "stock" answer to most questions they get!) :)

So, I went ahead and did that, no problem. Still I now have this oversized hole just staring at me--it may not be a problem, but I don't like its looks--even if I will never see it again since its on top of the VS. It actually did get enlarged almost to the point of becoming a 5/32" hole.

I did try Jim's trick of pre-squeezing a rivet (thanks Jim, a great idea), but still could not get a 4- rivet thick enough to take up the slop without it folding over on itself. My next plan is to get a pulled rivet in there to cover the hole. Looking in Van's catalog, the only one I see that would work for an (almost 5/32) hole, would be the N RIVET BSPQ 5-4. It is described as a round "Monel" rivet.

Does anyone know what "monel" is--others are described as cherry, aluminum, steel, etc. Anyone have a suggestion for what the proper pulled rivet would be for my case, given its relatively large diameter? Again, it would not really be for structural purposes, although since I've got the hole there, I'm convinced I need to fill it--it may as well be with something useful!

Thanks,
Steve

Bungled rivit

Steve, A monel rivit is a steel alloy rivet mainly used in hi-temp applications such as stainless firewalls etc. Installing an AN470AD5 rivet would be my first choice, however a cherry max rivet would also be ok. Your p/n would be a CR3213-5-2(check your grip length) you will need a #21 drill bit for a clean hole. If the hole will clean up with a #27 bit you can also use a CR3243-4-2 oversize rivet. These rivets may be pulled with a heavy duty pop rivet gun. You should practice on a piece of scrap with one or two rivets to get a feel for the gun, and to verify your grip length. Drilling a c-max rivet out is difficult even for a proffessional sheetmetal mechanic.

if your going to put anything in that hole it should be tight, if you muck up a cherry max and want to get it out again you must first remove the VERY hard collar around the top either with a die grinder or just grind the top off almost flush then punch the rivit out using a backup bar, or just dress the hole up clean and leave it, end of story

rbc12325 said:
Steve, A monel rivit is a steel alloy rivet mainly used in hi-temp applications such as stainless firewalls etc. Installing an AN470AD5 rivet would be my first choice, however a cherry max rivet would also be ok. Your p/n would be a CR3213-5-2(check your grip length) you will need a #21 drill bit for a clean hole. If the hole will clean up with a #27 bit you can also use a CR3243-4-2 oversize rivet. These rivets may be pulled with a heavy duty pop rivet gun. You should practice on a piece of scrap with one or two rivets to get a feel for the gun, and to verify your grip length. Drilling a c-max rivet out is difficult even for a proffessional sheetmetal mechanic.

Robert--

Any suggestions on where I can get the rivets you note above. Van's does not seem to carry any of them, including the an470ad5 rivets--they skip right up from a 4 to a 6. Likewise, the biggest pulled rivets they seem to have are fours (except the monel). They don't carry any CR3243 at all.

I will definitely heed your advice on practicing before I pull/shoot one.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Bungled Rivet

Steve, If you read trade-a-plane ads there are several sources for hardware, however they will probably have a minimum order. If you are close to an FBO with a sheetmetal shop they would most likley give you a few rivets to help you out. Barring all that there is an outlet here in San Antonio that sells hardware by the piece and will ship any where. This company is named INACO and their phone # is (210)344-8711 ask for Karla (Owner) and she will be glad to help you out. I also sent you a private message with my # for any questions you migt have. Feel free to call me.

Back