What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connecting Navaid Devices servo to Trio Pro Pilot

Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
I'm replacing my Navaid Devices wing leveler with a Trio Avionics Pro Pilot two axis autopilot. I decided to keep the Navaid servo for the roll axis. If you've got a Trio EZ Pilot, they supply a harness and instructions to connect the Navaid servo to the Trio autopilot. But, if you've got a Trio Pro Pilot, there is no such harness, nor is there any useful info in the docs they give you.

I e-mailed Trio, and got directions on how to hook up the Navaid to the Pro Pilot. But, the initial info I got was wrong, and it didn't work. I phoned, and the guy I talked to knew exactly what the problem was as soon as I described the symptoms. I needed to move one wire to another pin at the autopilot.

For the record, to assist anyone else who is installing a Trio Pro Pilot and wants to reuse a Navaid servo on the roll axis, here is what you need to do:

Code:
Navaid red wire   <--> Trio pin 1
Navaid green wire <--> Trio pin 2
Navaid black wire <--> Trio pin 4
Ground            <--> Trio pin 5

Note: If shielded wire was used for the Navaid, connect pin 5 to the shield instead of ground

You can see my wiring diagram for the Trio, hooked up to a GNS 430W.

Back