What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help,,,,,, My Riveter Died!

9GT

Well Known Member
Patron
Can anyone steer me in the right direction to a shop that repair pneumatic riveters? I have a Hi-Shear 300 recoilless rivet gun that stopped working. I partially disassembled, cleaned and reassembled to no avail and would like to have it repaired. Google search was of little help. Thanks.

I searched for his card for you but I can't find it. There is a man who does all of Avery's work for them. He is in Tennessee or someplace like that. I sent mine to him a few years back and he completely overhauled it for free! He looked up my serial number and determined he had sold the unit new years before I had it, so he did the free job for me. Was one of the best people I have come across in the field. Sorry I couldn't help more, but I think Bob Avery is honest enough that he will pass on his info to you. Glenn

Thanks for the suggestions. After a little more consideration, I decided to go ahead and disassemble the unit completely and found a bit of corrosion and bits of junk inside the recoilless cylinder. I cleaned it up and re-lubed everything as I reassembled and it seems to be working fine now. :) I am happy to report that this was a used "surplus" riveter from an aircraft factory, yet there was no visible wear on any of the moving parts.

Last edited:
As a side note, not sure what squeezer you have, but most should not be oiled with air tool oil, FYI.

Back