What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any new news on the RV-11?

kevinh

Well Known Member
I suspect none - but last I heard someone was going to ask Van for the gossip...

I'm really itching to become a repeat offender (I loved building). But I'm happy with my 7, don't need the space of a RV-10, and my wife would kick my ass if I made her sit in a 4/8.

It sure sounds like the chance of the 11 ever becoming a product is low, but it would fit me nicely. I even like sailplanes.

Why do you suspect the chance of the 11 coming to market is low?

Seems to me that with sport pilot as an option and lots of previous builders not getting any younger, his market is ripe for the picking.

Just wondering why you have that opinion.

Rat

Isn't the -12 the sport pilot option, though? I think that has lots of potential. The -11, maybe not so much.

Yes, the 12 is aimed at the sport pilot market and I really do think it will come to pass.

As I understand it the 11 would also fit as well and with sport pilot now an option it is even more attractive than ever. Then again, if it is marketed/registered as a glider or motorglider you would need a glider rating and therefore wouldn't need to fly under sport pilot rules as no medical would be needed. Oh well, still hope he completes it if not for the market just to see how it performs.

However, in one of the last issues of the RVator it was reported that Van and his brother have purched a -10 and the 11 is likely to be even further on the back burner.

Rat

Last edited:
Too Bad - but Van is realistic money wise

The RV-11 concept is unique enough for me as a past RV builder to entertain the idea of getting my cloth wrapped rivet gun out of the bottom of the old green tool box that I never use. It is a whole different type of flying than I have done personally. In high school I used to get my parents to take me and my brother to Torre Pines north of San Diego to watch the mid-winter soaring championships (winch launched) and in the 80s I got a ride in Hawaii but that is it. The idea of a motor glider is appealing to something basic inside me - kind of a cross between my own U-2 and a sailplane. Things Van published convinced me that he really wanted to develop the RV-11 but something has changed. I suspect it has to do with money but it could have been a technical realization that the design is flawed - that will break your spirit. I don't think we will ever see it finished or marketed.

Bob Axsom

Alex Caldwell said:
Why don't you just buy a complete HP-11 sailplane, and stick a motor on it or use the wings and build your own fuselage? You can get a licensed, flying HP-11 for asking price of $7500, probably less than the kit would be for a new set of similar wings.

Good point - perhaps I'll look into this someday. But now that I've finished building my 7A, I'm getting a bit of builders withdrawl. I love the flying, but I'd love to start a new airplane building project sometime in the next couple of winters.

Any recommendations on good sailplane kits that are still available (preferably no glass sand and fill involved ;) ) ? I haven't really started looking, in fact I don't even have my glider rating yet.

Last edited:
Van and his brother are building a -10 right now so this is taking a back burner.

When asked about it, it didn't sound like he was in any hurry to complete it.

Alex Caldwell said:
I believe the RV-11 uses the wings from an HP-11 sailplane orginally designed by the famous sailplane pilot and designer Dick Schreder...

Actually, the RV-11 prototype uses wings from the HP-18 kit sailplane. They have more area, and a more advanced airfoil, than the HP-11 wings. As noted, the HP-18 wings use closely-spaced PVC foam ribs to support the skins.

The wings in the RV-11 pictures I've seen are probably from the completed HP-18 that Dick bought a long time ago. I think he's also bought an unstarted HP-18 wing kit as well.

Thanks, Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com

I want an RV 11. Ive been reading along in the Rvator where Van posts his progress reports on the RV11 and the pictures look great. Ive flown gliders at many different locations and one of the biggest problems for club members or renters is waiting your turn to fly on a beautiful day, and then only to get one hour because someone else is behind you waiting. Ive had to land many times when I could have stayed up all afternoon but another club member would park his car at the wind tee to signal me to limit my flight for one hour. The other end of the soaring game is getting a tow. The RV 11 addresses both of those issues because it would be affordable, and wont require a tow, yet with the HP18 wing it should provide a very good ride. There are many good older sailplanes on the market at low price, but your still handicaped looking for a tow. I would have bought an HP 11 except where I fly from, getting a tow is impossible. I would have to drive 150 miles to join a club and fly a Pilatus. I love that RV 11 for its looks and the concept of a motor glider plus the fact it is a Vans RV which puts it in the awesome catagory. Im helping a friend build a RV 9A currently and I am a true believer in the Vans concept of aluminum construction. Its the best there is out there. Count me in for an RV 11..

Alex Caldwell said:
How about buying an already built HP-11 or HP-18 and sticking on a couple of these small turbojet engines on a retractable pylon like this gentleman has done

http://www.silentwingsairshows.com/photo.html

I got to watch that thing fly at the Land of Enchantment Flyin (sometimes known as the Moriarity flyin since the RV flyin adopted the same name) last weekend! Pretty impressive! I also got to take a good look at it on the ground. I should have taken some photos.

G

How about buying an already built HP-11 or HP-18 and sticking on a couple of these small turbojet engines on a retractable pylon like this gentleman has done

Thats a bit beyond my capabilities, but its a sound idea specially on the HP18. That might make a great power glider. I like Vans concept better. The RV11 offfers the reliabilty of a proven design concept, a good ole piston engine, a fuel tank and should not only soar as well as the HP11, but have some cross country capability. I kind of think it might be easier to build an RV11 than to modify an HP11.

Back