What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Practice paint?

danielhv

Well Known Member
Im wanting to learn how to paint, but dont want to spray the expensive Jetflex to do so! I have some spare parts to practice on... but what paint would be a good (and cheap) learning platform??

Why don't you call the jetflex retailer and see if they have any mis-matched paint they would sell you at a good price?

Failing that, try the same thing with your local paint supplier of PPG or DuPont paints. One thing - I understand that the auto paints have more fillers so they don't run as easily. So if you want to simulate jetflex, you may want to thin the auto paint a bit extra.

Painting a few things before you really start painting is a *great* idea. I was too short-sighted to do that and ended up costing myself extra time and money fixing the results of my learning curve.

If you are talking...

Im wanting to learn how to paint, but dont want to spray the expensive Jetflex to do so! I have some spare parts to practice on... but what paint would be a good (and cheap) learning platform??

...about the water based interior Jet Flex, I would practise with the real stuff.

I just started using it, and it does apply a bit differently... I used the non-visible sides of the interior panels as test pieces.

Since it is a one part paint and they will sell a quart, the start-up $$$ are low...:)

Last edited:
Jet Flex is pretty forgiving. I was shooting some interior parts on a particularly hot day and my compressor overheated and shut off. At some point I realized something wasn't right with the sprayer. Reset the compressor and let it build pressure, then continued on. You can't tell on the finished parts what was shot when.

I would definitely thin it with 20%-25% water. It is really thick. It also seems to cover a lot more per fluid ounce than the AKZO primer.

If you are really paranoid, shoot some on the back side of some of the interior panel parts and get the controls on the paint gun set to your liking.

55 gallon drums....

...make for a good practise piece. Their vertical surfaces will quickly let you know if you're putting paint on too thick...runs. I painted everything from my two-drum wood heater to my boat trailer before I painted my 427 Cobra kit car.

Good luck,

Back