What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EZ Pilot hookup to G296 to GRT Sport ??

Jeff Vaughan

Well Known Member
Anyone out there hook up their EZ Pilot to their Garmin 296 and the 296 to their GRT EFIS. I will be installing the GRT Sport when it arrives. I have the wiring harness now and I need to figure out how the G296 gets connected to the GRT Sport. I figured out the connection between the EZ Pilot and the G296. Garmin Data out 1 Blue wire to the Blue/white wire on the EZ Pilot harness I got fron Stein. Now, how does the G296 connect to the GRT Sport?There is a DATA out 2 wire on the Garmin. What is that used for.

Looking forward to some help. I would call GRT but it is after 5:00 and I want to do some wiring tonight!!

Jeff Vaughan :

GRT Hookups

Hi Jeff,

I have a similar setup with the GRT Horizon EFIS. The sport may be a bit different, but the concept is the same. I connected the data out from the 396 to one of the data-in lines on the EFIS. In the setup menu I then selected NMEA GPS for the associated serial input. Also, on the 396 I had to set up the output to match.

Next for controlling the autopilot I took one of the serial data-out connections and ran it to the data-in on the EZ-Pilot. The EZ-Pilot uses a GPS signal, so I just set up the EFIS to ouput the GPS data. I think the EZ-Pilot instructions told me what to set.

I wanted to be able to control the autopilot from either the EFIS or directly from the GPS, just in case I had trouble with the EFIS. So, I put a toggle switch that allows me to choose the data coming from the EFIS, or directly from the GPS.

http://www.my9a.com/finish13.asp

Regards,
Mike Schipper
RV-9A - N63MS - Flying
www.my9a.com

Back