What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Columbus, Ohio

C-FAH Q

Well Known Member
I am planning at some time this winter to cross the border to go and see a Bluejackets game. What would be the best GA friendly airport for me? would be looking to keep inside overnight as well.

Cowtown

The best airports for experimental, grass-roots flying are well outside the city; Delaware, Lancaster, Marysville to name a few. OSU and Bolton are both within a modest cab ride of downtown, where the stadium is and they are both GA friendly. Columbus (CMH) has a big FBO, but I have no idea what the fees etc might be - likely expensive. It is also a short cab ride to the stadium.
Lots of options. My choice if it was me- Bolton...several experimentals based there and no big hassles.

I visit KOSU several times a year on business and the people there are always very friendly and take good care of you. They tell me the place gets real busy when OSU has a home game!

I was thinking Bolton or OSU might work. Just need to find out if they have a hanger for over night.
thanks for the replys

I can't speak to Bolton.

When I had my Cherokee tied down at OSU, they used to charge $25 a night to be put in on of their large hangers. You may want to give the FBO a call to make a reservation and find what the current rate may be. As long as you aren't there on a football weekend or during the Memorial tournament, there should be plenty of room.

Make Sure There's a Customs Office on the Field

If you already know the drill, I apologize. If not, you'll need to file an electronic EAPIS form prior to departing Canada. Also, in spite of your ETA being on this form, you'll need to CALL the customs office at your destination prior to departure. Make sure you'll be arriving during the custom office normal hours. Anything outside of that will incur a healthy fee to bring in two officers "after hours". I believe even KDTW has an extra fee after midnight. Leave extra time to process thru. On a trip this month from Montreal to Michigan, it took over an hour for two guys to process me (no passengers or goods). My experience on your side of the border is generally much better.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

We used OSU last February on our way south. They put our plane in a nice heated hangar for $30.00 IIRC. Good thing as temps went to zero F overnight. OSU FBO also got us into a good hotel at a great rate.

Back