What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear seat belt bracket for 5th point - RV4

Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
I have noticed several pictures where the 5th point of the rear seat belt appears to be attached by passing it around the flap drive mechanism. It appears much easier than engineering a bracket.

Is this the way VANS suggests?
Is it strong enough?
Does it cause the flap mechanism to bind when the strap is tight?
Does it locate the strap in the right place?

I would welcome any other comments + or -ve.

Thanks, Steve.

Crotch strap RV4

Steve, I believe thats how I installed mine and will check tomorrow. Anyway I have had no problem but make sure you attach all 5 points when flyin solo and again all 5 when passenger is aboard. Roger Moore [email protected]

attach point

Hi Steve......The people that sell the harness have an installation picture that shows it attaching to the flap tube. That is how I did it and it has been fine.....no pressure on the tube to bind when using the flaps...Is it strong enough, well that is a good question......should be, but I'm no engineer. Four bolts into the structure should make for a strong attach point.

Marc DeGirolamo said:
Hi Steve......The people that sell the harness have an installation picture that shows it attaching to the flap tube.

Marc - 'the people who sell the harness ' Who are they? I was thinking VANS belts or possibly Hooker but havnt seen a picture with either. Who were you referring to. I would like to see this picture.

The "crotch strap" doesn't normally carry much load. It's purpose is to keep the shoulder harness from pulling the lap belt up, and to keep you from "submarining" in case of accident.
Mel...DAR

Back