What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avery tool kit

Brian130

Well Known Member
The time has come to get tools! WHOO HOO! But here's the question. Is there anything in the Avery kit that I can substitute to cut the price a little bit? For example, I've heard that the Sioux drill is great, but you can get other brands for less? Any thoughts for a noobie? Also.. anything in the kit that's better to try to beg, steal, or borrow because it's used so little?

I know some will say, "If you can't afford the tools, you can't afford the plane," and I agree - that's not the issue. Just trying to save pennies where I can so I can spend them where I need to.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you plan on keeping the tools after you finish, buy the better air tools (Sioux, Chicago Pneumatic, ETC) but if you're gonna sell afterwords, just buy the cheap ones.

A friend let me borrow his tools when I first got my tail kit. The squeezers were the cheaper kind as was the drill and rivet gun. I had to get my Marine son to squeeze the larger rivets in the spar assembly for me. (save Dad's arthritus pain a little) The rivet gun left a lot of smileys that will have to be smoothed out later and the drill would kill your ears without protection. When I ordered the wings, I also ordered Avery's tool kit. Yep, it's pricey. But the drill is so smooth and quiet, the 3x rivet gun is also smooth to operate with only a very few boo boos and the hand squeezer has longer handles for more leverage and the heads are really easy to change out. I'm a mechanic by trade and have always bought quality and kept them. Just remember that you will be spending a lot of time on your project using your tools every step of the way. Just my humble opinion and this is one of those topics that rank right up there with politics and religion when it comes to opinions.

Mike
RV8 wings almost done.

Tools

I think I like buying tools almost as much as I like buying stuff for the kit. Somehow I always manage to find a way to justify the tool to my wife... or is that myself? :p

Actually, I long ago found out that the "right tool for the job" is a mantra well worth taking notice of. It makes the job that much easier and helps prevent the sads when "she'll be right" (Kiwi saying, and being British, I hate it!) doesn't actually work out! I figure this plane will cost so much money anyway, what does it matter if I spend a few hundred or even a couple of thousand extra on decent tools when I need them; in thegrand scheme of things its still a small percentage of the total project cost...

Just my opinion... (I hate the '2c' saying as well... if I actually got two cents every time I saw that I'd have this plane paid for by now!!) :D

Brian130 said:
........Is there anything in the Avery kit that I can substitute to cut the price a little bit? For example, I've heard that the Sioux drill is great, but you can get other brands for less? Any thoughts for a noobie?
Brian,

I built my 6A using a 14.4V DeWalt cordless drill on 90% of the holes. And this from a guy who built production airplanes for a living and practically had an air motor welded to my fist.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Hint

Wait a few weeks. Everyone has spring sales about the time Sun-N-Fun starts. If you can't wait, call them up and ask if you can get their spring sale prices now.

I'm with Rick. I use a DeWalt drill for everything except the landing gear steel, and I use a heavy corded drill for those. I tried air drills a few times, but just don't care for them. They're noisy, spit oil, and you have to drag the hose around. I haven't seen any evidence that they make a superior hole, and it wouldn't matter anyway with the match punched kits of today.

I'd scratch the air drill altogether. You'll spend the money on other tools before it's over ;)

Cheers,
Rusty

Thanks, all! I think I'll go with the Avery kit and see how I get along with my electric drill for a while. I can always run over to Dallas and get it if I decide to. I'll ask about the Sun-n-Fun sales, as well.

Pirkka - I had seen that thread and it seemed to trail into a "pneumatic" or not discussion - which was helpful nevertheless!

I use a cordless drill myself on most things. I do still have my air drill, but dont like to have to turn the compressor on just for a few holes.
To save a few $$$ i got All my dimple dies and squeezes sets from The Yard Store. I found the Avery kit has some you dont need ( well not yet for me ) but it does help to have a friend that will lend you something you dont have.
I also havent used the 90 deg drill, I did need to use those 12 inch long bits with no problems.
You also dont need the 300 - 400 Clecos on the EMP kit, just 100 of each will be fine. When you order your wings get the extra cleco then.

Just my 2c

This is how I would do it

I am assuming you get a big discount on your initail purchase. This is how I would do my initial purchase if I could do it again. You will get more tools than this but this is a good start. You asked so here goes:

1) Drop the expensive drill for a CH drill or two at Home Depot
2) Drop the left and right hand metal shears
3) Drop the puck edge roll bender (get the one made from vise grips at Cleveland)
4) Drop the Beehive for a quick change retaining spring
5) Drop the 360 hand pop rivet tool for a cheap one at Home Depot
6) Drop the pens for ones you can get locally
7) Add a single offset rivet set
8) Add the small Scothbright wheels and mandrel that you can put on your drill
9) Add the backrivet bucking bar and extra long back rivet set
10) Add the bolt gauge
11) Add the doube edge deburring tool
12) Add a second or third set of cleco pliers
13) Add a nut plate jig
14) Add a couple of wingnut clecoes of each size (40, 30, 20, 10)
15) Add the PG-13 Vans Airforce T-shirt :cool:
16) Drop the rivet tape

Stuff not offered that you will need and should get locally
1) Dremel with lots of attachments
2) A small file set with different shape files
3) Tape (Scotch, Blue masking, Duck/Duct, electrical)
4) Unibit/stepbit
5) Metel sheers
6) band saw
7) Die grinder
8) drill press
9) Vise

Good luck and good hunting

kit

dont look just at avery web there is good guality tools at ustool.com their basic kit starts at 850 has all the clecos you need also good rivet gun and basicly all you will need for start ,the tools you will need which is not include this kit is c-frame and good rivet squeezer you can get that at cleveland for 525 not bad together 1375 or you can buy their rv tool kit for same price ,if you dont like ustool try theyardstore another cheap but good quality tool kit all the rivet guns especialy clones of cp works same i owned sioux but i wasnot happy, why reason is the springs are bigger diameter and set like swivel flush set with rubber doesnot fit so i bought cp clone and i think works better than sioux also i dont spend money on air drill i have one really good from jiffy new sells for 250 i bought it for 60 nice drill ,and also have one from ustool the mini one ,so its just up to you what you will choose ,my opinion is there is more vendors then you can imagine dont buy all tools from just one look also for some discounts and free shipping ,dont buy just 2 or 3 pieces of tools buy more you save on shipping good luck and good hunt

One thing you don't get with an electric drill: That great air drill sound and trigger feel. I really prefer the air drill to my cordless, but I guess it's different for all. :cool:

Back