What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New TruTrak Servo Output Shaft

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Louise and I received our new GX Pilot from TT a couple of weeks ago, and I have been meaning to post a picture of the servos that came with it. This appears to be their big redesign to address the problem that some (including us) had seen of the output arm retainer screw coming loose. Looks like a pretty massive shaft and a big nylon locknut to keep it secured.

IMG_4757.JPG

Now all we have to do is finish up this kitchen remodel we?re doing, and we can get started on servo mounts for the -3!

Paul

Hmmm, I'm no Einstein but I'm guessing neither TT nor MGL makes their own servos...

:D

Actully, I can name at least two other manufacturers whose servos look identical as well. Not sure who defined the "standard" form factor....:rolleyes:

Hmmm, I'm no Einstein but I'm guessing neither TT nor MGL makes their own servos...

Wrong guess.
MGL is making that servo from scratch. From machining the parts, all the electronics and the software.

The stepper motor (The big thing at the back) is a standard part made by a company that makes stepper motors (and nothing else).

The general shape is not a coincidence.
It is the simplest form that will accomodate the two gears required to get from the shaft of the stepper motor to the output shaft of the servo. It's a simple spur reduction gear and that dictates the shape.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

We definitely make our servos. We don't machine every part in house anymore due to volume, but all of our raw materials and machining is purchased right here in the U.S.

Apologies to both MGL and TT - I stand corrected! :D

Apparently this is a perfect example of "form follows function."

I am the lucky guy that gets to do the machining on the aluminum gearboxes for TruTrak and a fellow RV-9A builder. TruTrak is very demanding on fit, tolerance, and appearance but that's fine with me. If it was easy everybody could do it. :)

Back