What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto Pilot Installation RV-9A

dlg

I'm New Here
I am considering the purchase of a completed 9A but would like to add an auto pilot. How difficult would it be to go back and install an auto pilot in a completed 9A?

info

I think you need to provide a little more info. I believe the servo brackets can be mounted through the inspection hole and baggage bulkhead cover for trutrak and dynon a/ps. If you have the skyview panel, it is two wiring harnesses, two mounting brackets and pretty easy. If its a mix of stuff, more work and wiring. If you have an old steam panel and are thinking of some other AP, I would have no clue.

Suggest you provide a little present equip detail and you will get lots of good help.

Last edited:
The 9A I'm looking at has a Dynon D-100 so I would plan to use their hardware and controls for the autopilot.

Not a problem. I was an early beta tester for the Dynon Autopilot and it works well with the D100.

Here are some pictures of the installation. You will want the AP74 as it really improves the AP interface. No need to make the bracket I describe on my web site as that is now standard.

The pitch bracket should be riveted to the belly skin but if you or your local A&P can't / won't rivet it to the belly, a number of people have simply used AN3 bolts to secure it to the rib and leave the bottom rivets off.

The roll servo is very easy to install, no issues there.

The biggest pain is removing the interior to run the wires.

After you install it, you will want to upgrade the software, which you can download from Dynon's web site. Knowing Dynon continues to improve their products with software releases, you might want to mount a DB9 connector in a convenient location, if that has not already been done. Here is a picture how I mounted the DB9 connectors for my D100 EFIS and D10 EMS. By updating the Dynon EFIS with all the auto pilot parts powered up, their program will update the servos, AP74, and EFIS all at the same time. You will have to update the Dynon EMS separately but at the same time, if one is installed.

Last edited:
Just did this last week in a 9A and flew it yesterday. We simply ordered the RV9 install kit (Dynon) and completed cables from SteinAir and it couldn't have been any simpler. Tom

Wire Runs

I think the hardest part will be routing the wires from behind the panel out to the wings and tail. Not always easy to find a good path to run the wires, if you don't have pre-installed conduit to run through.

Back