What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Life goes on

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
After a long three months off due to my Father passing It was good to finally get back to the project. My dad suffered for 16 years with numerous serious heart issues and we lost him early last month to ventricular fibrilation. I have my south Texas garage air conditioned and he would love to come sit out and help hold parts and talk aviation. I will always remember the good times with a good man who new how to really live.

So I'm going to build on and realize my compleated dream some day.

God speed Dad......

Mark,
You can be sure he will be looking on you with joy and pride as you continue your project.

Best,

My father was a pilot, but flew mostly while I was young. The last night I saw him, was the evening I passed my private pilot written test. I hadn't yet thought of RV's, but there's always the days I wonder if he can see my 6A. I think he'd think it's pretty neat.

L.Adamson

Mark, I had very much the same situation. Pilot father, very interested in my aviation interests. We lost my father about 3 years ago, and one of the best moments of my life was setting down at OSH in a plane with his name on it. As I tell most people, It's my dad's plane, I just built it. I feel closer to him every time i crank the plane. If you're human, you'll miss him, but there are lots of things that will bring you closer, and know he'll keep watching. It's good to hear people remembering the ones that got us to where we are now. I think of him often, and am proud to admit to being his son. Build the plane, and make him proud.

KB

Good luck on the project and always remember who is flying right seat with you. He will always watch out for you and will love to see the RV flying!

It's coming up on 2 years since I lost my Dad. He flew for Piedmont Airlines back in the day, and was my inspiration to learn to fly. He gave me my first airplane ride at 3-years old (I DO remember it!) in a J-3 he had converted from an L-4. The first airplane engine I ever started was at his direction on a DC-3 he was a contract pilot on. I was about nine years old and had to stand up to reach the switches. We shared a lot of good times in many cockpits, ranging from a Cessna 150 (had to lift a cheek to close the door:D) to his Stearman, my 170, and his 310. He even gave me a few minutes in the left seat of a B-737 on a deadhead leg of a charter.:cool:

He had a 4-digit EAA number from the late 1950's and started a Smith Mini-Plane, but life intervened. Several of his neighbors at 97FL had RV's and he was always impressed with their performance and flying qualities. I have his Charles Taylor Master Mechanic and Wright Brothers Master Pilot awards (both awarded posthumously), so I'm reminded of him every time I walk down the hallway in my house. Of course, I think of him every time I fly. That first time after his passing was the hardest, as the view out the windshield got a little wavy. I'm having that same problem now with my computer monitor...

Last edited:
Dad died almost 13 years ago and never had a pilot's license. I think he knew his high blood pressure would have kept him from it, yet in the Army Air Force he ran up thousands of planes,and loved every one of them. He later destroyed 3200 of those same planes, and I know it hurt him to see them go. He saw to it that I got to fly when I was still very young. It is easy to recognize my 9A. On the right side of the slider it says, "In Memory of T/Sgt Myron Kelly. If you want something similar, I will make it for you, NC.

Glad you and your father had such good times. Sorry about his passing. Brings back memories...

Bob Kelly

Gents,

Thank's for all the good words.........

And yes Bob, "life does get better after 40".

God Bless

God belss you in this time. I believe your dad will be missed but ok. Pass on to your children what he has shared with you.

Hi Mark,

I lost my Dad 15th oct 2008 ( almost 2 years ago ). He was here with me when my wings and fuse kit turned up. He helped me unpack it and start on a few bits with me. Now when I need a part that has been put away for some time and is now needed, I think, he helped me unpack it, it is time I made it fly !
He was not a pilot, however loved that I was building a Vans kit.
Im sorry to hear your loss, things will get better with time.

R.I.P, Dad.

Back