What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tru Trak harness routing - RF issues????

dougweil

Well Known Member
Hi all:

I am working on my RV-7 with a Digiflight II VSGV with autotrim. The servos and harness are all installed and secured up to the instrument panel. I am now about to wire the controller and autotrim units. In looking at my wire routing I may have goofed up. I have my comm coax and servo harnesses bundled together on two runs and my pitch servo harness and one Whelen strobe conduit also bundled together, AND I forgot to install a shielded wire for my CWS switch (that is easily fixed). I contacted Tru Trak and they said ideally I should rework this but they have also had very good luck with these filters:

http://www.l-com.com/productfamily.aspx?id=902

On my previous RV-4, I had no problems at all but I don't recall if I had ran the harness with the comm and strobe cables. I probably did in some areas. Has anyone had any RF issues with Tru Trak autopilots???

The altitude hold on my Digiflight II has been acting funny for awhile now. Sent it back to TruTrak for a look-see and they were unable to find any problem, but updated the software. Still misbehaiving when I reinstalled it, so I suspect its an interference problem. I recently discovered that my GRT EFIS is affecting my intercom, so perhaps it is also interfering with the autopilot - dont know yet.

Do you install the suggested filters at the servo or at the control head?

regards
erich

Well I haven't done anything yet. Several local builders have TT harnesses bundled together with comm antennas and have never had a problem. Once I finish the TT a/p controller harness, I can at least test the pitch servo with VHF comm transmissions and strobe operation and see if there is any issues. That I can do before rerouting my harnesses (which would be a real pain!)

And I will get the filter regardless. I'll have to check with TT as to where you place them.

Back