What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navaid AP-1 installation

Curly64

I'm New Here
I have just purchased a Navaid AP-1 and have some questions about the installation.

Info: RV8, plan on connecting my Garmin 196 to the AP-1.

Questions:

1- is it nessesary to install the diode for the PTT switch in the RV's?

2- For the -8 have you guys been putting the servo in the wing or under the seat? I am wondering about the weight that far out on the wing.

3- Anything else I need to know?

Thanks,
Ed Perry

AP install pics

Curly64 said:
I have just purchased a Navaid AP-1 and have some questions about the installation.

Info: RV8, plan on connecting my Garmin 196 to the AP-1.

Thanks,
Ed Perry
Questions:

Ed, my comments are generic and apply to the RV-any. I do know some RV-8's are going in the cockpit, but I have mine in the wing (RV-7).

"1- is it necessary to install the diode for the PTT switch in the RV's?"

It is a COMM radio thing. Do not install it. If you do not have any A/P jump issues during Comm Tx, than your good to go. Just be aware never use an autopilot below a safe altitude and make sure you can over power it and know how to turn it off quickly. Most experimental autopilots do not mention this, but certified autopilots have MIN altitudes, you should just consider this.

"2- For the -8 have you guys been putting the servo in the wing or under the seat? I am wondering about the weight that far out on the wing."

click me

Above shows wing mount and RV8 cockpit mount:

I am going in the wing, the bay just outboard of the bell crank. You can attach the servo push rod hemi fitting to the same bolt which connects the main control push-rod hemi fitting to the bell crank. The servo fitting just takes the place of some of the spacer. You may have to Fab a new servo arm because the stock one is a little short on range of motion.

The Pictures above are "borrowed" from other builder sites. The servo mounted to the rib in the SAME bay as the bell crank. Looks nice. One issue is make sure the servo and push-rod can never get loose and cause a control jam, especially if its in the same bay as the bell crank. Again the stock arm is a little short to get the full range of motion I found. Not sure how this builder worked it out, it is not my installation. The RV8 is without comment since that is not the way I choose, but it looks nice.

Another option is wing TIP mounting of servo and with a long push rod to the bell crank. It works but that is a long skinny push rod. Also Safeair offers an installation kit which mounts the servo to the spar just outboard of the bell crank in the wing instead of the rib.

"3- Anything else I need to know?"

I would reinforce the 4 mount tabs with a 0.062 doubler on the bottom. You can bond and fasten where you can and will need to relive the doubler for the many fastener heads on the bottom of the servo and lightning holes.

Cheers George

Last edited:
Navaid Diode spec???

For the life of me, I can not find the tiny diode that Navaid sent with the unit. The Manual has no specifics on the diode itself.
I looked through the Radio Shack drawers and thought I might "spot it". Oh my gosh... choices choices.

The 5.1V & 12V Zeiner diodes and switching diodes look most like what I remember it to be like. Does anyone know WHICH diode it is, or would work???
THANKS!
Mike

For the life of me, I can not find the tiny diode that Navaid sent with the unit. The Manual has no specifics on the diode itself.
I looked through the Radio Shack drawers and thought I might "spot it". Oh my gosh... choices choices.

The 5.1V & 12V Zeiner diodes and switching diodes look most like what I remember it to be like. Does anyone know WHICH diode it is, or would work???
THANKS!
Mike

Mike, the one in my kit has a black body with one blue stripe on the left. Printed on it is....

C1
N4

It was in the bag with the pins and heat shrink..........;)

Back