What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question for DARs regarding flight test area

MS19087

Well Known Member
How large of an area can I request to perform my Phase 1 & 2 flight testing? Is there a tactful way to request an area larger than 25nm on my Program Letter? Thanks!!

not a DAR, but I drew a trapezoidal area on a sectional and submitted that. About 50 mile radius and included a couple airports I wanted to be able to get to. I'm on the coast, so it was sort of a half circle/trap. I did stay clear of busy/dense areas and the class B. No problem.

Work with your DAR, especially if you are around populated areas or crowded airspace. It usually is not a problem. I routinely do that for my customers.

Vic

I asked for 35nm centered on my home base and was given a 50 nm radius centered on an airport 25 nm south of my airport giving me a 75nm reach to the south. His explanation was he knew several airfields in those areas that have routine fly-ins with great pancakes... :) Great guy!

200nm

radius, excluding the Kansas City Class B airspace, was asked for and authorized by the DAR (retired FAA Inspector) I hired. I stayed close to the local airport during the first 20 hours of Phase 1 testing, then ventured to far away places in the HUGE area available to complete the 40-hour Phase 1 requirement.

Best regards,

Bill
RV-7 N151WP
Barrett IO-390
Lee's Summit, MO

I used the FAA and asked for a 75nm circle and got it without further explination, should have asked for more!! oh well, I'm free to roam about the country in 1.25 hrs :D :D

Test area

'ye have not because ye ask not'

I work with folks to give them what is needed for the particular aircraft. RV's need lot's of room! You can fly out off a small area very quickly. The objective is to conduct flight tests, not take a navigation quiz!

I'm a DAR with the Seattle MIDO and a 50 nm radius for 40 hours (25 with certified engine/prop combo) is the standard operating limitation with them.

I think the FAA use to be a little more lenient with adjusting the distance for fast planes but lately it seems they're trying to be more consistent between groups.

Joa

My FSDO inspector had me draw up a map that was a 40nm radius, with a 75nmX10nm corridor for going "fast". Excluding any Class C and B.

He attached the picture to my OPSLIMS.

Not a DAR, but my experience in defining my Phase I test area was initially a 25-mile radius, which my DAR said was "standard".

I told him that the RV goes fast enough, tooling around at high speed breaking in the engine, that I'd get pretty bored in such a confined space. He came back with permission from his bosses for a 25- x 100-mile corridor, which I placed on a sectional that kept me out of congested airspace and gave me the greatest number of small airports underneath for safety and peace of mind.

It worked great. After working out the initial test parameters, I was ready for longer treks to break in the engine and tweak the Dynon limit settings.

I'd take off, fly to the other end, turn around, fly back. Get out, pee. Hop back in, take off, fly to the other end, come back and pee. Worked for me. :D

Back