What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel - Buss, breaker evaluation

aadamson

Well Known Member
All,

I know this isn't specifically RV related, but I'm looking for some knowledgeable people that can offer some constructive comments on my layout and electrical setup. I'm working to get this finalized this week if possible so I can get it off to the laser cutter and powder coater :)

So, to that end, I'm looking for a little help. I've got a panel design conceptualized, as a result I need to verify the most optimal buss, switch breaker, breaker and fuse counts.

http://www.highrf.com/Rockets/Panel Final.jpg - Panel layout

I've been using a spreadsheet that includes all the information including some tables that show busses and what's on each buss. I'm primarily focused on pull breakers, but all the details are there for switch breakers and fuses.

http://www.highrf.com/Rockets/Breaker Counts.xls - spreadsheet

This is a dual alt/batt 24v system with a 60 or 100amp main alt, and an SD-20 as backup. It will be using a slightly modified AeroElectric Z14 design,(modified because there is an avionics master on the primary buss).

Please let me know if you see any "gaping" holes in my thot process. The airplane uses a Chelton dual screen EFIS with electric instrument backup. There is no vacuum system.

Thanks for your time and any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Alan:

You might consider putting the AoA indicator on the glare shield so it's in your vision when it's needed. Barring that, put it top dead center in front of you under the glare shield. AoA is valueable when manuevering or in the pattern when your eyes are likely outside. The closer to your direct line of vision, the better. Think of HUDs, they are always in the pilots vision. Try to achieve that with your AoA.

An impressive panel. Lots of stuff. Try to push your avionics buy as late in your build as possible so as to get the most current software loads.

Log on to the AeroElectric list and float your electrical questions there also http://forums.matronics.com/. You may find the Electric Bob will weigh in on your questions amoung lots of other "lectricly inclined" types.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that you have a lot of "snort" going into your electrical system. 100A main and 20A standby are substantial. Does your load analysis indicate this much is needed? Sometimes folks add up all loads to arrive at an amp load instead of the continuous loads.

Good luck.

Jekyll

Alan:

Public appology to you. I didn't look close enough and missed your load analysis. Also saw you posted on the connection.

Jekyll

Thanks

Jekyll said:
Alan:

Public appology to you. I didn't look close enough and missed your load analysis. Also saw you posted on the connection.

Jekyll

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes, I posted on the AE list as well. I most likely won't go with the 100A alt on a 24v system. My worse case load is only about 30a on the Primary buss. It's only 10 on the essential so I'm only at about 50% of available alt current.

My spreadsheet does need a little tweaking, but It's served me very well for this exercise.

No applogies needed.... Thanks for the comments. The AOA may stay where it is for now.... when I'm VFR, I like to look out the windows and I fly more by seat of pants than anything... When IFR is totally different. I fly by the numbers and with the PFD giving primary information for IFR, I like the AOA right there. I haven't flown with one before, but am pretty excited. Apparently if you keep the thing in the "bubble", in approach mode, it makes flying the approach way easier.... We'll see...

Yes, you are right, wait till the bitter end... Unless there are good deals to be had, I got my Chelton dual screens on one of those deals. And I hope to be flying by this fall. :)

Thanks again!

Back