What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vetterman Exhaust Hangers

Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I'm having a recurring issue with the exhaust hanger on the pilot side on my 9A slipping. The rubber hose will not hold tight enough on the metal tubes to keep the exhaust from sagging on this side over the course of 25 hours or so. The other side is fine and never slips. I've tried using 2 hose clamps at both the top and bottom of the rubber hose and it still slips in time. I'm now thinking about putting some kind of adhesive onto the tubes and then using hose clamps to try and remedy this. Has anybody else had this issue and what makes it better. It's one of those things where the cowl has to be pulled to fix it and it is getting to be pretty irritating. :(

Regards,

Bryan, call Larry Vetterman, he's very helpful.

You may want to use your flaring tool and put a slight flare in the end of each tube. This may help it from pulling out.

Vern Little 9A

Roughen the tubes

You may want to remove the tubes and remove the shiny surfaces with a file, sandpaper, belt sander,etc to help the rubber get a better grip.

Good Luck
Peter
RV-9A

Flare them

I lightly flared the tubes then placed the clamp just above the flare. No problems at all in 55 hours.

Never had that problem

The problem I had with them is breakage at the edge of the flat crimp. I had to buy SS tubing and make my own to correct that problem.

Bob Axsom

Agreed on the breaking of the crimp. I've been through three sets in 365 hours. The first two (stock) sets went almost exactly 100 hours each, and the last set is still good at 165 or so hours.

The stock ones had a fairly abrupt transition from round tubing to flat. The latest set has a much more gentle taper which avoids (I think) causing a stress concentration.

Back