What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fixing dust nibs in paint

24Golf

Well Known Member
Just painted the fuselage after having great luck with the wings.... But, ended up with lots of dust nibs in the paint. Question, can i buff out the nibs and not repaint the entire fuselage? I have full coverage, so I'm not to concerned about cutting into the paint. Any suggestion? Paint is single stage Swerwin Williams Jet Glo. See photo below:

Just painted the fuselage after having great luck with the wings.... But, ended up with lots of dust nibs in the paint. Question, can i buff out the nibs and not repaint the entire fuselage? I have full coverage, so I'm not to concerned about cutting into the paint. Any suggestion? Paint is single stage Swerwin Williams Jet Glo. See photo below:

See this thread for everything you need to know:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=60631

Not Dust...

After shooting the lower half in white yesterday it was just as bad as the red. The particles actually do not look like dust. It more looks like little paint "squigly's" that dried before hitting the surface. Not sure what to do - have had great luck up until now with no dust on the wings or control surfaces. Called Connor who supplied us the paint - he had no clues how to fix except maybe lower the amount of thinner - am thinning at 15% now. All other variable are about the same - We are using the Axis Air Citation 2 stage HVLP sprayer. Any Ideas??

PAUL

After shooting the lower half in white yesterday it was just as bad as the red. The particles actually do not look like dust. It more looks like little paint "squigly's" that dried before hitting the surface. Not sure what to do - have had great luck up until now with no dust on the wings or control surfaces. Called Connor who supplied us the paint - he had no clues how to fix except maybe lower the amount of thinner - am thinning at 15% now. All other variable are about the same - We are using the Axis Air Citation 2 stage HVLP sprayer. Any Ideas??

I ran into two problems during the painting. Once, I forgot to filter the paint as I poured it into the paint gun canistor. That showed up immediately.

Another time, it was from static elec.. I had one wall of plastic sheeting, and particles litterly leaped from the wall. At that point, I ran some grounding wires to the surfaces.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Static

Thanks... I have thought about running ground straps just in case that is the problem. I am using the 3M cups with a built in filter, so the paint should be filtered well enough. I try anything at this point!

How hot is it where you are shooting?

I am certainly no paint expert, but it sounds like you might need some more reducer to keep the paint from drying in the air before it hits the plane.

I've seen those fuzzys plenty of times while shooting fast drying primer on a hot day. A little reducer and it goes away (on the next part).

Last edited:
I am certainly no paint expert, but it sounds like you might need some more reducer to keep the paint from drying in the air before it hits the plane.

I've seen those fuzzys plenty of times while shooting fast drying primer on a hot day. A little reducer and it goes away (on the next part).

You've got a point. My paint would flash around 80 degrees. Since that was the case, I began painting at 5:00 am every morning, while temps were still in the upper 60's to low 70's. Daytime was in the mid 90's.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Hi Paul,
I think Bill and Larry may be onto something! We both know how hot it is here these days! Maybe it IS drying too fast. Also, static could be a culprit. You should mention to the guys that the places where you have tape does not have these squigglies in the paint, only on the metal, right? I'll try to swing by tomorrow evening if I can work it out and have a look. All of your project is perfect so far, and this will end up that way also. Just tell Beth to not make me sand! Good luck my friend.
Jimmy

Back