What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trio Autopilot LCD vs OLED display?

Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
I'm intending to purchase a Trio Pro Pilot autopilot at OSH, to take advantage of their show special. I need to decide which type of display to purchase - OLED or LCD. Based on the info I got from Trio, I'm leaning towards the LCD display. It is not quite as pretty as the OLED display, but the LCD display is easier to see in bright cockpits. Also, the LCD display has many, many units in service for quite a while, and they've only had one display failure. They had many more failures on the original LED display, but the newer OLED displays haven't been in service long enough to really know how reliable they will be.

Are there any Trio autopilot users with LCD displays who regret having chosen this display?

I'm intending to purchase a Trio Pro Pilot autopilot at OSH, to take advantage of their show special. I need to decide which type of display to purchase - OLED or LCD. Based on the info I got from Trio, I'm leaning towards the LCD display. It is not quite as pretty as the OLED display, but the LCD display is easier to see in bright cockpits. Also, the LCD display has many, many units in service for quite a while, and they've only had one display failure. They had many more failures on the original LED display, but the newer OLED displays haven't been in service long enough to really know how reliable they will be.

Are there any Trio autopilot users with LCD displays who regret having chosen this display?

Kevin, I've flown all three Trio displays. The original VFD display was not very good in bright light, but the LCD performed very nicely. However, the OLED in my later versions of the EZ-Pilot and now in my Pro Pilot look really professional and also work fine under the RV-6 canopy and bright sunlight. I have had no service issues with either the LCD or OLED.

Either version will be good, go with whichever one appeals to your aesthetics. You will really enjoy your Pro Pilot!

Tell the Trio amigos I said "Hi". :)

Last edited:
Trio OLED sure looks great

I was just in the Trio Booth (hi Sid!) and was admining the OLED display. I'm going that way on my Pro Pilot (with GPSS & GPSV :D )

I've had both displays on my EZ-Pilot.
Although, I thought my original was a PLED. Maybe it was an older technology.
I had problems with the head unit and they replaced it at no charge. I opted for the return to be the LCD display. Happy I did as it is much more readable in direct sunlight than the PLED.

Last edited:
Although, I thought my original was a PLED. Maybe it was an older technology.

I believe that's right, the new OLED displays are different from the older green PLED displays.

We had a LCD EZ-Pilot and when we traded up to a Pro Pilot we went with the PLED display. It looks "sharper" than the LCD to me (same pixel pitch, so same resolution, but the pixels are smaller) and I find it is perfectly readable, even under a RV-6 canopy in the SoCal sun.

Now if the OLED display is brighter than the PLED, it should be even better.

But whichever way you go, you can't really go wrong. If you've got the alternatives on display there at the booth, in broad daylight, just pick the one that looks best to you.

--Paul

My LCD is much easier to read in direct sunlight than the OLED or PLED (can't remember which) that was originally installed. The original display failed and I had the option of upgrading to the latest xLED or going LCD. I'm happy with the LCD.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll stick with the plan to purchase the LCD display version rather than the yellow OLED version. That yellow display looks very nice in the display building at OSH, but the ambient light intensity in the cockpit will usually be much brighter.

Back