What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BC- Chilcotin August trip planning

nomocom

Well Known Member
Asking for Canadian pilots to chime in...

I'm planning a KBOI (Southern Idaho) to Fishem Lake (Twin Lakes alternate) trip for August. We are looking forward to a week of trekking on the East side of Chilco Lake. We expect to meet the rest of our party at a backcountry airstrip and continue the last few miles to the trailhead via auto.

I've reviewed the AOPA/COPA guide to cross border flights and I've got my eApis account. I am looking for a bit of input on a couple items.

Is there a price guide to available fuel stops, similar to what www.airnav.com/fuel/ does for the US?

I see COPA's "Places to fly" don't cover many of the backcountry strips. Any local knowledge of Twin Lakes CAG4 or Fishem Lake (?) would be appreciated. I've chatted with a White Saddles rotary wing pilot, helpful guy, but fixed wing perspective would be appreciated.

I need to order charts. The VNC chart summary doesn't show much detail. Would someone kindly look at their VNC chart and tell me the longitude of the East edge of Vancouver and the latitude of the northern edge?

Any comments on August weather for this area would also be appreciated.
thanks

Chilco lake

Stan
I dont have my VNC map handy but here is the path to an online terminal area chart that may give you aproximate coordinates
HTML:
http://www.navcanada.ca/ContentDefinitionFiles/Services/ANSPrograms/LevelOfService/VancouverReview/Backdraft_April_09.pdf

If this doesnt work PM me and I will scan you sections along your intended route.

Here is the path to the Canada Flight Supplement (CFS) that should have info on those airports.
HTML:
http://www.navcanada.ca/ContentDefinitionFiles/Publications/AeronauticalInfoProducts/CanadianAirportCharts/CanadianAirportCharts_current.pdf

I suspect you will be flying through the interior rather than up the coast.

Last edited:
route and charts...

Thanks Beancounter, I've looked at the links and PM'ed you. Since then, rooting around I've come across this, excerpted from COPA's "places to fly", this is Chilco lodge strip, a bit N and W of where I expect to land.

FLIGHT PLANNING
To access Ts?yl-os Park/ Chilko Lake by air takes some pre-flight planning. The importance of proper training, procedures, and pre-flight planning when flying in this remote mountainous region cannot be over emphasized. In the Pacific area, the combined effect of the great Coast Mountain system and the adjacent Pacific Ocean leads to extremely changeable weather conditions with an unpredictable variety of patterns.
When operating in mountains, factors such as density altitude, turbulence, and wind effect must be considered, as they will affect aircraft performance.
Another consideration in planning flight operations into remote areas :))Vancouver VNC AIR 5004:) May 00 is the one to use for this flight) is that "Sparsely Settled Area" is no longer a defined area. As such, the pilot/operator must decide what survival equipment is to be carried on board the aircraft in accordance with regulations

As you suggested, I am planning an inland route, flying North from Washington, clearing customs and topping tanks in Penticton or Kelowna, then flying the east edge of the mtns until nearing my destination east of Chilco lake.

Stan we have the charts for a trip to Alaska out of date but you are welcome to have also have the flight guide so you can know what you need to get We are based iin Ontario Oregon. David

offer..

Stan we have the charts for a trip to Alaska out of date but you are welcome to have also have the flight guide so you can know what you need to get We are based iin Ontario Oregon. David

David,
Thanks. They would be helpful. Can I pick them up? Sounds like a good excuse for a flight, or if you aren't near the aerodrome (see I'm ready for Canada already:cool:) I'll take a motorbike ride to where ever is convenient for you.

best.
Stan

Stan anytime you can get away we are only a few minutes form the airport and always looking for a reason to go so, give us a call 541 881 7954 David

thanks

David and Helen,
It was a pleasure meeting you both. Thank for the tour and the charts. It was great fun to see your Seabee project. After reading the Kenmore Air story, "Success on Step", the SeaBee became a regular in my dreams. What a wonderful bird for exploring.

best regards

Stan Was really great to get to meet you yesterday.When you get back the land up north, lets meet in Big creek. and I'll show you our little bit of heaven.I have to drive up and bring our backhoe out sometime this summer.Have a great trip and we will catch up when you get home David Helen

Back