What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

And you thought RV construction was tough?

dicel87

Well Known Member
Anyone see the TLC show tonite on the construction of the A380 Airbus? Incredible!

Maybe after a few years they will announce a quick build kit ;)

Yep, something tells me it had quite a few more rivets in it, than our RV's :D

Heck, there are probably enough rivets in one of the ailerons to equal that of an RV!

the paint

I think I heard that the paint on the 380 weighs more than a typical RV - someting like 1200 lbs. And I think they were really pleased they got the weight down to that.

When I am working on my kit I am often amazed at the work that went into designing and producing it, then think about the Airbus 380 - a really incredible engineering project ( to state the obvious)

Incredible, Yes.
It's amazing what you can get done with govenment subsidies.

I think what our own Boeing did by building the 747 with 1970 technology is far more incredible. Just think about the computers that were available back then.....

Watch for the Boeing 7E7 Dreamliner !

Mark
Boeing stockholder (reason for being a bit biased)

Last edited:
Just to clarify, it is now called the Boeing 787. (It's really a pain to change all or our documents from 7E7 to 787!!!)

I am actually dissapointed that they did not stick with the 7E7 name. I think that it is a much better and more distinctive name than the 787.

Ron
RV-9A Builder
Rockwell Collins Engineer working on the 787 Project

Mark Burns said:
Incredible, Yes.
It's amazing what you can get done with govenment subsidies.

I think what our own Boeing did by building the 747 with 1970 technology is far more incredible. Just think about the computers that were availble back then.....

Watch for the Boeing 7E7 Dreamliner !

Mark
Boeing stockholder (reason for being a bit biased)

Back