What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who lives near Okeechobee??

tkatc

Well Known Member
I have a tentatively scheduled RV transition training with Jan Bussell the second week of August. Looking to make the most of the trip by seeing and visiting other RV's in the area.

Also wouldn't mind flopping on somebody's couch to save money. I am saving up to buy my own RV...

Thanks in advance....

cant answer your question but I am going down this weekend for transition training with Jan. I'll let you know how it goes if you are interested in some advanced SA.

Ken

wish i .............

could help but i am out of town for the summer. have had rv hotel guests in the past for a fun time. hope someone helps out.

last rv hotel guests. the russians are coming.

img4662s.jpg

Tip: Fly early! August in central FL? Oooof.
There is a weekly Wed morning RV breakfast at Sebring (KSEF) if you want to see/meet a bunch of RV'ers. I was dying to play hooky this moring and head over after suffering many days of crappy weather.

I have a tentatively scheduled RV transition training with Jan Bussell the second week of August. Looking to make the most of the trip by seeing and visiting other RV's in the area.

Also wouldn't mind flopping on somebody's couch to save money. I am saving up to buy my own RV...

Thanks in advance....

Tony why not tentatively reschedule the transition training when Turbo is home? Make the trip your short vacation and you won't be disappointed. Turbo has the nicest 6A I've even seen.

DeviceforthepriceofMINI.jpg

could help but i am out of town for the summer. have had rv hotel guests in the past for a fun time. hope someone helps out.

last rv hotel guests. the russians are coming.

img4662s.jpg

Ed we had such a good time! Thanks for everything again, we will be back in 2013.

The Villa. The Museum. The Hotel.

EdsVilla.jpg

Inside Turbo Hotel

MINIHotelatStuartFL.jpg

Back of the Hotel

boat.jpg

You can get a ride in this beauty if you behave

Vette.jpg

Couple minutes from the Hotel is Turbo's home airport. Things like this completely restored Extra and a private 737 is a regular seeing.

Extrarestored.jpg

Boeing1.jpg

I would call it The Turbo Tour

WOW!!!! Certainly would be nice to visit Turbo...I can see that quite clearly. Timing is everything I guess but perhaps I could visit him in my own RV one day.

I am really looking forward to my training with Jan and would be very disappointed if I had to bail or wait any longer than I am. I am tackling obstacles to RV ownership one by one. This training is one more obstacle. Even if this training doesn't help me with my first flight of my RV, I plan to get RECENT training beforehand, it will still teach me a lot about flying my local rented spam can.

I will try to slip away to visit Sebring but like you said I assume the training would be early to avoid weather and heat so i am not sure what the scheduling will allow.

might as welll...........

launch an arieal pic of the villa. its nice to like your home, 30 years now, came to fla on a boat in 1980.

img0349zq.jpg

Did my training with Jan.... Great guy.

I did my training with Jan and it was only a One day event. I stayed in a small motel in town for that one night. Don't remember how much I paid. Not bad or I would remember it! Good luck.

Bill

Flight, rental car, and hotel have been booked. Hope it isn't too hot and hope I can handle the RV without too many problems

Just spent last Friday and Sat morn with Jan. It was hot on the ramp but once airborne the cockpit vents really did a good job of keeping things pleasant.

Okeechobee county airport gets pretty busy but Jan handles all the comms and cracked me up cause he loves pointing out his RV6 is so much faster than all the Cessnas and Pipers in the pattern!

I'd never flown a -6 prior (or any RV for that matter). The rudder setup in the -6 makes it easy to inadvertently apply braking action so I needed to really ensure the balls of my feet were only resting on the cross bar under each brake pedal to keep from applying brakes (which made for some really interesting T/O and landings :) until WE figured it out).

Jan is great to work with and will tailor his regimen to match your experience/skill level.

He will demo a 400-500 ft engine failure on T/O to show it is within the planes envelope to be able to return to the field (I'm not going to debate the merits of this or not). He can do it, and do it well.

Lots of right rudder! :)

On landing roll - Just THINK rudder and you'll go where you need to go.

His best advice to correct for directional deviations was "Stop the Motion first, then correct second" worked every time.

You'll do great. Good Luck!

Ken

Can I get some contact info for Jan?

I've been looking at which airplane to build and later fly for years. I live only 40 minutes from Jan and figured... there is someone that specializes in RV training (great insight) and I can actually find out what this "RV Grin" thing is all about? :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Scott

Back