What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

next to first flight - suggestion needed

lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
Well,

during next month I'll receive the documents to do the first flight with my RV-8 (things happen different in my country).

A simple question for first flight (3000ft airport, 607ft altitude):

take off with flaps or without ?

land with flaps or without ?

I don't want to start a debate, but having you suggestion could help me to think right.

ps: I've standard skill with 800 hours, acro, lot of TD, mountain flight and two hours with an RV-6.

3000' is way more than enough. I did my first flight in my -8 on a 3,700' strip with density altitude well over 1,000' and needed only half the strip. Do not use flaps for takeoff in the -8...they are not needed.
You can land with them or without them...practice it both ways. For the first flight, try at half flaps or a bit more. The flaps will cut down on the floating because you will probably be a bit fast the first time around. Remember if you are not down in the first third of the strip, gun and go. You will do fine and will love your -8.

I agree - 3000' is more than enough. I would choose NOT to use flaps, since things will be happening very quickly on takeoff, and you could easily forget to get them up before you over speed. They certainly aren't required, and will just make things more difficult. Flaps on landing will make it more stable - use them as you feel comfortable.

Paul

Back