What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder cable exit hole?

ratc

Well Known Member
I'm sure someone has found an accurate way of positioning the fuselage rudder cable exit holes :confused: Could someone give me a good method that works first time, I don't want to spoil things at this late(ish) stage. :eek: I don't suppose that it's something that the pre-punched builders have to contend with.

I did this just a couple weeks ago... You are correct, there's no dimension given on where this should be.

I chucked a stepper drill, closed my eyes and and let her rip!

Actually, I did measure to ensure they where both in he same place. But I SWAG'd it and walkted the stepper to ensure the whole was flush with the angle. You'll notice the whole is lop-sided. I drilled a "double-whole" and used a file to cleanup the mess, of which there was plenty.

-Bruce

Rudder cable slot location

I located mine 12.5 inches forward of the aft skin edge,and it is about 2" long...making the front of the cutout approx. 14.5" from the skin edge.It is a slot just wide enough for the teflon sleve (approx 3/8") and the bottom of the slot is right on the longeron top surface....seems to be very smooth.

I haven't hooked up the rudder yet, so I can't tell you how smooth it is, from reading other posts, I imagine it's been done better. Use those measurements.

-Bruce

"I don't suppose that it's something that the pre-punched builders have to contend with."

If you haven't seen one of the pre-punched kits yet...avoid it as long as you can. Trust me. Enough to make a grown man cry, if he wasn't worried about tears etching the aluminum.

Yes, there is a perfectly cut, perfectly placed little oval hole there.
Everything else is perfectly cut, joggled, cleaned up and powdercoated, etc.

Of course, I like to think that my CAT could build one those things...

Jeff

Back