What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A must read for / Single Electronic Mag Users

G3i Ignition

Well Known Member
G3i will in KOSH again this year in hanger ?A? booth #1148 demonstrating and releasing the new Series-SC (Single Channel) which focuses on curing the issues of the off-set ignition timing events with the ? EI and ? magneto systems. The G3i SC module reads the variable/ advance-timing signal from the existing aftermarket electronic mag. The SC tracks it, and timing it in perfect synchronization to fire the magneto at the same timing event as the electronic mag. With a multiple spark technology. Dual EI?s and keeping your existing single magneto as an added redundancy. Here a example schem.

Thomas S.
www.g3ignition.com
drawing1sc4p032710smf.jpg

must have!

Thomas,
1.what the price on this unit alone? didn't see on your site.

2. what's the odds of me wiring this successfully?...or do I really need to get a mechanic/shop do it? I've wired automotive stuff, but all this ignition jargon makes my head spin.

thx

Looks like if the EI goes TU the mag will still be there to fire the plugs.

It'll be there, but the description seems to indicate that the mag gets its marching orders from this device, which in turn gets its signal from the EI. If the EI fails, will the mag revert to standard timing? What if the device fails? Does it affect both ignitions?

Hi Steve,
That’s right, the magneto interface with the SC-E module and gets its marching orders from the existing EI example, Pmag, LS, etc.
(?)1. If the “mother signal EI” fails: By selecting off for that ignition system, with the G3i SC-E module still powered up. The SC-E will switch to the contact set in the mag and will fire at the fixed timing event with multiple spark discharge as our other G3i systems.
(?)2. What if the device fails? Does it affect both ignitions: By powering down the SC-E, the mag reverts back to default/normal and any EI input signal is internally disconnected by default, both systems are completely separated.
Next week there will be a short article posted here with some info on the new G3i Series – SC-E and there will be the install manual up on the G3i website to view.

Thomas S.
www.g3ignition.com
KOSH Booth#1148

Last edited:
What happens...

Hi Steve,
That?s right, the magneto interface with the SC-E module and gets its marching orders from the existing EI example, Pmag, LS, etc.
(?)1. If the ?mother signal EI? fails: By selecting off for that ignition system, with the G3i SC-E module still powered up. The SC-E will switch to the contact set in the mag and will fire at the fixed timing event with multiple spark discharge as our other G3i systems.
(?)2. What if the device fails? Does it affect both ignitions: By powering down the SC-E, the mag reverts back to default/normal and any EI input signal is internally disconnected by default, both systems are completely separated.
Next week there will be a short article posted here with some info on the new G3i Series ? SC-E and there will be the install manual up on the G3i website to view.

Thomas S.
www.g3ignition.com
KOSH Booth#1148

...if the fault is in the C1 or C2 terminals or associated electronics.

A short to ground on C2 or a break in the C1 lead/connections/electronics would seem to kill both systems...

Have you left a few single point failure modes in the system?

Hi Gil,
...if the fault is in the C1 or C2 terminals or associated electronics.

A short to ground on C2 or a break in the C1 lead/connections/electronics would seem to kill both systems...

Have you left a few single point failure modes in the system?

The bnc terminals C1/C2 are only for the mag part. Shorting or opens will not affect the other ignition system from continuing. The SC-E module job is to read the timing event from the other EI and fire the mag in EI sync. Designed to not affect the other EI system if a failure was to take place with the G3i Ignition system, ex. Emag, LS. etc...

Thomas S.
www.g3ignition.com

So you are saying...

Hi Gil,

The bnc terminals C1/C2 are only for the mag part. Shorting or opens will not affect the other ignition system from continuing. The SC-E module job is to read the timing event from the other EI and fire the mag in EI sync. Designed to not affect the other EI system if a failure was to take place with the G3i Ignition system, ex. Emag, LS. etc...

Thomas S.
www.g3ignition.com

...that there are no common circuitry/wires/conectors in the "control box" that could cause either the EI or magneto to fail at the same time?

Gil,
When the SC-E is powerd down, all EI connection/ signals go open to the other EI and the mag goes back to normal configuration.
Thomas

The failure I was...

Gil,
When the SC-E is powerd down, all EI connection/ signals go open to the other EI and the mag goes back to normal configuration.
Thomas

...thinking about was if your control box goes TU...

You are feeding both the left p-lead and the right EI power through it.

So, could a massive control box failure lose EI power and short the C2 to ground or break/short the C1 magneto coil lead in any way?

It's amost the classic definition of a single point failure location...

Single point catastrophic failure?

...thinking about was if your control box goes TU...
You are feeding both the left p-lead and the right EI power through it.
So, could a massive control box failure lose EI power and short the C2 to ground or break/short the C1 magneto coil lead in any way?
It's amost the classic definition of a single point failure location...

Not clear on your description of massive TU failure.
No there is no power feeding through Left p-lead and Right EI.
The Right EI dose not receive any power or ignition signal from the SC-4 Module. Designed to be independent when shut down or cycled off. Even disconnecting or shorting C1and/or C2. the mag would go off line only if both leads were removed.
There is no classic single point failure here with this system. There would have to be a multitude of existing issues to take place to have some type of catastrophic failure. Now if there are other issues with another aftermarket EI and/or poor wiring installation. That is beyond G3i?s control. At KOSH this year hanger ?A? booth #1148 I will have a SC-4 ignition simulator set-up, like the Series-2 ignition with mags we demonstrated last year showing all modes of redundancy. Again demonstrating the results of any catastrophic failure idea you can come up with to shorts, poor install wiring, power failure, etc? with either system. The EI that will be interfaced on this display with the SC-4 module will be 4cyl. P-mag. See ya there.

Thomas S.
www.g3ignition.com

Back