What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pmag experiences,combined threads

N131RV

Well Known Member
About 90 hours ago, I surrendered the data plate on my IO-360-A1B6 and converted one ignition to a PMAG (latest revision).

Up until Friday May 30th, all appeared well. I like the smooth starting, did experience a bit of speed increase, engine ran very smooth.

On that Friday, at about 7:30 am, I departed for work and experience a very nerve wracking engine experience. While on climbout the engine starting running rough and experienced a loss of power (not total, but noticeable).

I immediately returned to the airstrip and parked the plane, got my nerves under control and called Emagair. Left a message. Later that day, my mechanic and I did test ground runs and the PMAG was running rough. Pulled and examined all plugs. Two plugs were found to be fouled, so we replaced them. The engine ran better, almost as new. Still a tiny amount of miss on the PMAG, which we attributed to a slightly marginal plug. I again called Emagair and left another message. Meanwhile I ordered new plugs from Spruce.

Saturday, Sunday and Monday pass, no response from Emagair. Tuesday I flew the airplane on my usual run, it appeared to be back to normal. Still no call back from Emagair.

Wednesday around 11:00 am I finally get the call back from Emagair. Seems to pass right over their head it's been FIVE DAYS since I called. Since the plane seems to be running OK now, we have a long discussion about plugs, etc.

Thursday, no flying. Friday, I make my commute and the plane runs good on the outbound leg. Coming home, I experience an extremely brief "stumble" on the engine just after takeoff. It does not repeat. I pass it off to a "gremlin". My mistake. :(

Saturday, the wife and I load up to go for a short trip. Plane passes the mag checks, takeoff is quite normal and about 60 seconds into the flight, the engine gives us both a scare as it again "stumbles" and recovers, then repeats. I switch to the Bendix and the engine keeps running steadily, but at a slightly reduced power (normal). On the PMAG, it is missing steadily, catching and missing, "stumbling" badly.

Pulled the plugs and the same two that were fouled before are showing signs of fouling again, the plugs are wet and oily. All six other plugs are clean.

I replace all 8 plugs with the new ones from Spruce, do a test ground run and there is still the slightest of misses on the PMAG, nothing major, just a slight "tick" of the engine. It's late in the day, hot and I'm beat so I put off the test flight.

Today, I decide to test fly and the PMAG starts acting up within one minute of takeoff. Since the engine is running good on the Bendix, I allow the engine to run on the PMAG for a good 30 seconds (scary) as it kicks in and out, almost completely stopping a couple of times.

I of course called Emagair and left another message.
The reason I am posting this is I am not satisfied with the turn around time I get on the phone, so perhaps, they read VAF on the weekends and will be stimulated to call me in less than 5 days. :)

There is NO emergency contact info on their web site that I can find.
If anyone on this forum can contact the owners of Emagair directly to let them know the situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Switching to regular mag only was good. Of course you may not wish to fly a long time that way but it may be a better option that running with both...where one makes the engine run poorly.

My story was almost exactly the same a couple of years ago when we were taking unnecessary risks with dual pmags.

Be aware that malfunctioning pmags have been known to over advance. Running on the pmag in this case can beat up an engine pretty quick.

Be aware that malfunctioning pmags have been known to over advance. Running on the pmag in this case can beat up an engine pretty quick.

Steve, that problem was taken care of a long time ago. What he described here is something different.

Once an E/P-mag went "over advance", it stayed that way, even with a power cycle. I know, I had one on the second flight of my -9 back in '07. What he is talking about is something different altogether. It could be a problem with the P-mag or the installation. Don't be so quick to condemn the ignition until we know more.

As Brad once told me, "You don't have a proven product until you have 500 units installed in 500 different aircraft by 500 different people."

There is the possibility that a bad ground is the cause the stumble. I'd say the chances of bad P-mag or bad wiring is the same, maybe even a better chance of a bad installation.

I of course called Emagair and left another message.
The reason I am posting this is I am not satisfied with the turn around time I get on the phone, so perhaps, they read VAF on the weekends and will be stimulated to call me in less than 5 days. :)

There is NO emergency contact info on their web site that I can find.
If anyone on this forum can contact the owners of Emagair directly to let them know the situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Brad and Tom do not read this forum or any other. If I wasn't leaving on a trip tomorrow I would stop by and talk to them for you but I won't be able to go by there until next week. Hopefully you will have your problem fixed by then. If you still can't contact Brad by then, let me know. Just remember, they are a three man shop.

Steve, that problem was taken care of a long time ago. What he described here is something different.

Once an E/P-mag went "over advance", it stayed that way, even with a power cycle. I know, I had one on the second flight of my -9 back in '07. What he is talking about is something different altogether. It could be a problem with the P-mag or the installation. Don't be so quick to condemn the ignition until we know more.

Where did I condemn anything? In reading the original post it sounded like the engine ran worse on both than on just the bendix. If the pmag is simply missing (due to bad ground) I wouldn't expect it to make things significantly worse.

Also, I am aware that the manufacturer took care of the timing problem, but the original post never said when their unit was installed or built. I was simply suggesting that intentionally running on a malfunctioning pmag could be harmful.

Hi Joe,

My experience has always been that Emagair are excellent about making good on their product. However, they are a small company and from time to time they go out of town - to air shows and the like.

If you have a Bendix, the first thing is to check that you and your mechanic are timing the PMAG to the TDC mark. This can be confusing as the Mag is timed to the 25 degrees BTDC mark. The engineers all get it wrong through force of habit. Your problem doesn?t sound that simple - but it is the first thing to check.

Did you make the ignition leads? If so try to check them on a proper spark plug lead tester as opposed to the multimeter test suggested in the manual.

I have had a few issues with their units in the first few hours before they figured out a few bugs which was very frustrating. I'm in Australia - so my problems are a lot worse than other US customers if I need a repair. For this reason I have a spare unit in my hanger. At this point I've wasted my money as I have never needed to use it.

Ultimately I have stuck with them and the latest units/firmware have been outstanding. I have confidence in them and I am happy that two units provides sufficient redundancy. I have experienced mag failures as well so anything can happen.

I?m pretty sure Brad does have a cell phone which you could call. I had the number once but I can?t find it. Someone on here should be able to send it to you via personal message.

Good Luck!

Richard

Leaning on ground?

Hi.

Do you lean on ground?
If not, that could easily foul your plugs.

On the same note: I guess you lean in the air including climbs to higher altiudes?
If not, that could also lead to fouling.

I realize that your problem is probaly not fouling alone, but it could be part of it maybe?

What type of spark plugs are you using?

Have you checked and tested all your wiring including the ignition switch?

Are you using the 113 or 114 series?
Test their internal generator according to the procedure described in the manual.

I assume you have blast tubes installed?

Put temp stickers on them to see how high temp they are seeing during ops.

I have dual P-mags in my -7 and I'm VERY happy with them so far.
No problems at all after the last update.
I've also bought a pair for my second -7.

I'm also very happy with Brad and his company so far. Send him a e-mail if not able to get him on the phone.
I'm sure he'll work with you to solve your problem.

Good luck and please keep us updated about the problem and it's sollution.

Thanks.

Sounds like you are running aviation plugs. When I first installed my pmag I used aviation plugs with the plug wire kit supplied by emag air. I had very similar symptoms to what you are experiencing with intermittant problems. It turns out that 2 of the plug wires were making intermittant connections. I finally found that the little washer on the plug end of the harness had cut into the wire. I never really liked the way their aviation plug connecters were fabricated, so I switched to auto plugs with more bullet proof connectors on the harness. I have not had a single problem since. Intermittant loss of spark to the 2 plugs you keep changing would account for the fouling. My bet is that those 2 plug wires are bad.

Last edited:
Quite possible

Sounds like you are running aviation plugs. When I first installed my pmag I used aviation plugs with the plug wire kit supplied by emag air. I had very similar symptoms to what you are experiencing with intermittant problems. It turns out that 2 of the plug wires were making intermittant connections. I finally found that the little washer on the plug end of the harness had cut into the wire. I never really liked the way their aviation plug connecters were fabricated, so I switched to auto plugs with more bullet proof connectors on the harness. I have not had a single problem since. Intermittant loss of spark to the 2 plugs you keep changing would account for the fouling. My bet is that those 2 plug wires are bad.

Quite possible. I would love to run auto plugs, but my engine requires long reach plugs. None of the adapters I have found are suitable for long reach plugs.

I'm going to be rechecking everything today. I'll also try to hook up to their computer program (oh Joy, another couple hours spent fabricating and routing a cable).

I agree. Look hard at the plug wires. When I upgraded my -4 with dual P-Mags, I received the "crimp your own kit" for the plug harness and was rather underwhelmed. I returned it to EMag for the the pre-fabricated (auto plug) harness which seems far better than the first option. The system has been great for the past 18 months. Hang in there...

Dean Pichon
Bolton, MA

Called Lightspeed

Lighspeed has long reach adapters.. you could get 'em from them..

I called to ask about them. Got voicemail, but less than 1/2 hour later, they called me back. I have ordered the adapters and plugs.

Still waiting for Emagair to call me back, I left another message.

I think Brad may not be back from vacation or trip yet. I received an email about a week ago that he would be on the road for about a week.

Last edited:
E-Mag / P-Mag

Sorry for the thread drift, but, what's the difference between e-mags and p-mags?

Still no call back

I think Brad may not be back from vacation yet.

It would be nice if their voice jail indicated "we're on vacation until _____" instead of "we're on the shop floor or with a customer".

Last edited:
If one were planning on an emag/pmag installation, and wiring up the starter switch, must you jumper the R to the GND or not?

TIA

If one were planning on an emag/pmag installation, and wiring up the starter switch, must you jumper the R to the GND or not?

TIA

Negative. You want both firing, so there should be no ground to the right mag on start. Time them together also.

As to reliability, I have never had a serious problem with my P/E-Mags. I had a mag failure on a 172 once, and the Slick I took off when I added the P-Mag (right side, after having an E-Mag for a year on the left) failed less than ten hours later in a Tomahawk. Just because it has been around since the dawn of time doesn't make it reliable.

Bob

Negative. You want both firing, so there should be no ground to the right mag on start. Time them together also.

As to reliability, I have never had a serious problem with my P/E-Mags. I had a mag failure on a 172 once, and the Slick I took off when I added the P-Mag (right side, after having an E-Mag for a year on the left) failed less than ten hours later in a Tomahawk. Just because it has been around since the dawn of time doesn't make it reliable.

Bob

+1

(or 2 if you count both my P-mags). :D

Hmm

Sounds like an intermittent connection somewhere. If the same two plugs are the ones that are fouling than I would SUsPECT poorly made HT leads.

A number of folk had issues with the green connector and not landing the wires right..like clamping down on the insulation and not the wire..Easy to do.

Or poor grounding etc.

I honestly don't think you have a bad Pmag but quite possible of course.

Mine have been great for 400 hours or so.

Frank

True, but

and the Slick I took off when I added the P-Mag (right side, after having an E-Mag for a year on the left) failed less than ten hours later in a Tomahawk. Just because it has been around since the dawn of time doesn't make it reliable.

Bob

Yeah, but, the there are multiple dealers for Slick and most not only answer the phone, they would also ship next day for a replacement. I'm STILL waiting for a callback from Emagair.

Reliability is not all about hardware. It's a total package. The best hardware in the world is useless without support.
For instance, if it does turn out to be faulty plug wire, I currently have no way to get replacement parts until I can contact someone at Emagair. I suppose I could run down to the local auto parts store and take my chances. :) I found no online source for 8mm 160ohm per foot spiral plug wire (and boy have I searched). I suppose any old MSD wire and boots would do, but that's NOT THE POINT.
I need SUPPORT, not excuses from well meaning "fans". Sorry for the rant, but I'm about 2 inches from an emergency PMAG-ectomy. AND I MAKE NO APOLOGY.

Last edited:
Your frustration is understandable, but review of the many threads on pmags on this forum will indicate that while folks have questioned the product in the past, service has been quite good. I think you have caught them at a bad time and being a small company, that has impacted their service to you. They do have a growing fan base now, myself included. If you must have answers now, do what you must, but I would encourage you to be as patient as possible. There are a substantial number of folks who like this product.

erich

Three times in a row

I think you have caught them at a bad time and being a small company, that has impacted their service to you. T
erich

It's three times in a row that I've "caught them at a bad time". Took them about 5 days to return my call when I wanted to order. Then the order shipped late (but no notification). So it arrived about 7 days late.

5 Days for a return call when I had the first indication of a problem.

They had all day today to return my call. No call. Maybe I'll get some action tomorrow (maybe not). They have shown a consistent lack of response (to me).

My aircraft is part of my livelihood. Being down for multiple days with no sign of support is simply not acceptable. Maybe it would be for you. If so, more power to you. If I don't have some form of satisfaction by the end of tomorrow, PMAG will be history in my life. I need my airplane back in the air, not sitting on the ground waiting for a call that may or may not come this week.

Last edited:
EMagAir Thots

It is a relatively new product. Maybe won't have dealer that can service ever, different business model.

I had serious issues with one of mine at 96 hours, but I still fly two of them. They turned them around the same day and said that the one that lost its timing had been overheated by 17 degrees. I restarted my trouble-free hours clock after that incident and I have about 40 trouble-free hours since.

It sounds like you have a wiring problem, not a pmag problem. One observation I have on pmag problems is that I there seems to be a common factor of HEAT. The Cards in Texas with multiple problems, and my experience after flying in severe heat.

If you are going to roll your own wires Magnacore is a great brand. You will be happy with auto plugs, I recommend NGK BR8 EIX's.

Hans

My aircraft is part of my livelihood. Being down for multiple days with no sign of support is simply not acceptable.

Joe,
I feel your pain and have been following this thread with interest. I, like many others I'm sure would love to have P-mags but are still on the fence about them actually being better/more reliable than well cared for mags.

But, maintenance is actually on "us" and the harder it is to get parts or service the more we keep spares on hand. like: I keep spare mags on hand and tail-wheels and sparkplugs and tons of nuts and bolt etc. Plus I just fly for fun, so if my RV-6 was part of my livelihood, I would keep even more spares!

Good Products don't always come with good support!
Just a thought to give you a different perspective on the situation.
I wish you well on the resolution of your issues with the P-mag install.

Hi Joe,
I am (wrongly or rightly) going to read into your replies and assume (I know, I know) that you are not going to call back Emagair out of principle. Your point is that you want a call back, not to have to call them back...again.

But, maybe they are really busy after just being gone for several days and are assuming that your problem isn't severe because you haven't called back. I don't know what the message that you left them states, but why don't you just call them again and explain your dissatisfaction. It's a win-win for both you that way.

I actually feel compelled to call them on your behalf and tell them to call you! ;-)

Been calling every day.

Hi Joe,
I am (wrongly or rightly) going to read into your replies and assume (I know, I know) that you are not going to call back Emagair out of principle. Your point is that you want a call back, not to have to call them back...again.
False. I have called them more than once each day. I leave a message each time. I will be calling them again shortly today. Again I will leave a message.

My aircraft is part of my livelihood. Being down for multiple days with no sign of support is simply not acceptable. Maybe it would be for you. If so, more power to you. If I don't have some form of satisfaction by the end of tomorrow, PMAG will be history in my life. I need my airplane back in the air, not sitting on the ground waiting for a call that may or may not come this week.

It sounds like you'd be happiest if you ditched the PMAGs for slicks/bendix/etc. mags right now. Why wait?

Emagair has made contact.

Quite helpful, once contact is established. I will be doing (as stated before) the full troubleshooting guide. Emagair will be sending some parts to help the process.

Thanks to all who were helpful.

Just Joking

Thank you for the free, helpful advice. I'll take it under advisement.

Actually, I called Brad for you. He had been sick. He agreed that he needs to be more accessible and said you had a valid gripe. We even talked about things like him getting a smartphone with email access. I hope you figure your problem out. I've been running P/Emags since 2005 and I love them. As you heard there were problems in the beginning. I know because I lived through some of them but now they seemed to have matured. Starts easier, runs better, saves gas, and now I think the are at least as reliable as a mag. Good luck and I'll still take them if you want to give them away.

More clues

Spent the day checking wires, plugs, connectors, etc. All four wires ohmed good. No shorts or opens. Connectors are made correctly and seated correctly.

The 6 pin and three pin connectors are firmly seated in the Pmag. The ground is good.

Checked pmag mount for tightness and retimed to TDC using the "puff" method.

All plugs good.

Symptoms:
Engines starts great, idles smooth, runs great up to about 2000 rpm.

Around 2200 rpm, the engine starts missing (a little).

At 2500 rpm, the Pmag begins cutting in and out badly, sometimes dropping 300 rpm before catching again. It's a scary sound.

Sometimes only stumbling a little. Occasionally backfiring. Cylinder temps and EGTs remain pretty even (no cold cylinders). Possibly (and it's not definitive) a small temperature drop on #3. So slight it's hard to really tell.

I really don't think it's a plug or wire at this point. All 8 plugs have been changed. All 4 wires have been checked. I'll have a complete new harness kit tomorrow and I'll remake all four plug wires just to be sure. If it is a plug wire, it's not like any plug wire symptom I have ever seen before.

It really feels like the coil is cutting in and out under load. Just a WAG.

Brad has been most helpful. Kudos.

P-Mags (and other electronic ignitions) will fire a normal car timing light (induction pickup). Easiest thing in the world to have one guy run the throttle while another watches the timing behavior. Sounds like it is over-advancing.

P-Mags (and other electronic ignitions) will fire a normal car timing light (induction pickup). Easiest thing in the world to have one guy run the throttle while another watches the timing behavior. Sounds like it is over-advancing.

I have done this many times... at idle
But at 2500 RPM you wouldn't get me standing behind that prop holding a timing light :eek:

Mine did that once

I had a Pmag that would idle ok but at about 1500 RPMs it would start running rough and cutting out. Emag ended up changing the board in the unit. That fixed it. They never isolated/identified the exact problem but they fixed it. Also, I don't know how you have your ignition wired but you can connect a computer to a Pmag and monitor what it is doing while it is running. Depending on the model and version you may even be able to confirm the health of the coil. Just an idea.

I will put in my .02 cents worth. I had a similar problem with a car ages ago and turned out to be a cracked distributor. Under close examination I could see the cracked plastic. At high RPM the ignition was arcing across the crack.

Maybe there is another RV guy with P-mags nearby and you could swap mags?

For what its worth, I watched a brand new 182 return to the terminal yesterday after a failed mag check (not P-mags). Hey, even a $500k bird has mag problems.

I had a Pmag that would idle ok but at about 1500 RPMs it would start running rough and cutting out. Emag ended up changing the board in the unit. That fixed it. They never isolated/identified the exact problem but they fixed it. Also, I don't know how you have your ignition wired but you can connect a computer to a Pmag and monitor what it is doing while it is running. Depending on the model and version you may even be able to confirm the health of the coil. Just an idea.

Better than a computer, you can install an EICommander and use it to monitor two E/P-mags, give you warnings, shift the timing map (in flight, if you wish), store multiple maps for different fuel, high altitude flight, etc.

It also as a bunch of warnings built into it.

Download the manual, if you like. There are a lot of pictures in there of the screens. (We are currently finalizing a manifold pressure gauge function as well and those of you who run CS props will like to hear that it includes RPM and MAP condition alarms to match your installation. None of this new functionality is reflected in the current manual.)

I had a similar problem in the Skipper with Slick mags. It would work fine for a while, but then at full power down low only (like on takeoff :eek:) it would miss heavily. Really got your attention on climbout, since you can't afford to give back any HP in a Skipper!

Happened 2X intermittently before I grounded the A/C and we started to diagnose. Timing was fine, checked, cleaned, replaced plugs. It would itermittently happen on a full power ground runup (but wouldn't happen at normal runup, only full power). Sometimes the miss was minor (I could feel it, but not much RPM drop) and sometimes it was major (lots of shaking, 300+ rpm drop, even some backfiring).

I was just about conviced it was a bad mag (or coil in a mag) when we tried it one more time. Finally we were able to catch in on the engine monitor during a bad spell. We saw the EGT in one cylinder go up dramatically during the event. We tried both mag switches and found that when it was missing, one plug in that cylinder was firing and the other wasn't. That narrowed it down to a single plug in a single cylinder.

Remember the plugs were already replaced, so we went and looked harder at the wires. We finally found that the wire on that plug was broken internally and would intermittently open. I was amazed how much power loss there was when that wire opened up, but I think all the other wires were "weak" too.

A new set of wires has fixed the problem for 120 hours. I was amazed how much more flexible the new wires were than the old ones. The engine is still firing away on a set of Slicks with 1500 hours on them!

Hope this helps - summary is: replace the wires!

Joe.

I had the same problem as you discribe about 16 mths ago. It is a very large bang, not just a miss or at least mine wasnt. I found the following.
Not detectable during normal runup.
A high powered runup would induce it
I am pretty sure mine was MAP related and not RPM or a combination of both (power)
I did a couple of test flights and discovered that the miss fire would only occur above about 23 inch's MAP. As soon as I reduced power the miss went away. In a climb with at least 23 inch's MAP and RPM of 2500 to 2600 I would get the miss. In a descent or level flight with 2500 or 2600 RPM it would not miss as long as the MAP was less than about 23 inch's.
So it appears to be a power issue and not just RPM.
Mine are not connected to the MAP.

After the test flight I installed my spare PMAG and all was good.

HOWEVER: While installing the spare I discovered a plug wire that was not corectly installed on the plug (auto plugs and leads). The metal of the lead cap was being held against the plug by the rubber boot (enough for it to spark on test) but it was not firmly pushed onto the plug.
Untill I put the PMAG with the issue back on I will never know if it was the PMAG or the wiring. When I get a moment I will re-install it and determine if it was the plug wire or the PMAG.

I had a similar problem in the Skipper with Slick mags. It would work fine for a while, but then at full power down low only (like on takeoff :eek:) it would miss heavily. Really got your attention on climbout, since you can't afford to give back any HP in a Skipper!
!

Since the voltage required to fire a plug is proportional to the density of the charge in the cylinder, at high power settings where it takes more voltage to jump the gap, if their is a point in the high voltage distribution of lower breadown available, that's where the spark will jump! If you have an open in a wire, a pin-hole in the HV insulation, cracks in the distributor, whatever, anyplace where the dielectric constant is lower, offering an alternate path that requires less voltage than the plug in the cylinder, that is where an arc will occur! So if you experience a miss at high power, look for an arc somewhere else. This works really well at night! 'Course, it could also be a breakdown in the magneto internal coil, and if you're using shielded aircraft plugs, make sure you wipe the cigarette and all of the inside of the plug before assembly, and don't touch any of the parts with your fingers as their oil will provide a conductive path. That stuff has to be really clean!

The PMAG saga continues

To catch up, read http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=58811

Today, I received more ignition wire supplies from Brad. I remade all the spark plug leads and installed them. I pulled all plugs and checked them again. They all looked good, had good color and no deposits, but I swapped in a set of fine wire plugs, gapped to 35.

Started the engine, it cranked in about two blades. Let it warm up (oil temp to 100 or more) and then began gradually adding power, running on the PMAG only. At about 1500 rpm I began to detect a slight miss. As I increased power the miss got worse. At 2500 the engine was "surging" between 2500 and 2300 rpm, missing badly and sometimes "popping". The RPM display was jumping, something it normally does not do.

Called Brad and he said "send it back". I asked how long I would be down, he said "that depends on how quick you ship". :(

Not really the words I wanted to hear.

So, I spent the next three hours removing the PMAG and installing my old mag.

I can now claim the dubious honor of having stabbed and timed a Bendix mag. :) There's a first time for everything. It was easier than I thought to set the timing. The hard part was stabbing the sucker without jostling the gear out of position. Took about three stabs to get it right.

I hooked up the Bendix to the same plugs the PMAG was using (I didn't even bother to gap them down, I'll do that tomorrow).

Test run, the engine ran STRONG on just the single mag. No problems with the plugs, I guess. Ran up to 2600 RPM and she sounded SWEET!!!

Tomorrow I'll ship the PMAG back and see what happens. For now I'm back in the "stone age".

Sounds like a bad mag. One advantage of running dual P-mags is that you can trouble shoot easy enough.

Back