What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on Speed sloped windshield

I understand that this option covers the normal access panel for the front which allows accessability to your avionics, but has anyone changed location of the door to give you both the sloped windshield, and some sort of entry to the front?

Yes, for the speed slope, the standard windscreen is the same with out the notch" Harmon rockets and RV4s use essentially the same concept

Yes, for the speed slope, the standard windscreen is the same with out the notch" Harmon rockets and RV4s use essentially the same concept

I just got back from the airport, and was looking at another F1. At least I think it is, and not a Rocket. In this case, his windscreen was removable as he used an english wheel to form an aluminum fairing around the front and top. The removable panel was part under the windscreen.

I just got back from the airport, and was looking at another F1. At least I think it is, and not a Rocket. In this case, his windscreen was removable as he used an english wheel to form an aluminum fairing around the front and top. The removable panel was part under the windscreen.

Do you by chance have pictures?

That is an access panel (one one each side) that is standard on a "factory" F1 Rocket kit. It is typically held in place 30+ #6 screws and nut plates. It's for maintenance access behind the instrument panel, not a forward storage or baggage area.

Lee...

In this case, his windscreen was removable as he used an english wheel to form an aluminum fairing around the front and top. The removable panel was part under the windscreen.
The removable skin over the panel, either standard or sloped windscreen is a real plus with this design. I would hate to have to take my windscreen off each time I wanted to check under the lid. I can see no advantage to doing it this way.

Talk about a picture being worth a thousand words

I could have easily implemented an access panel like this when I built my RV-6A. I did think ahead far enough to mount my instrument panel with screws instead of rivets but once the plumbing and wiring is done it might as well be glued in. I have had no real trouble with maintaing the instruments and radios so far (required several times already in 6 years) so maybe the riveted skin cover is best for me anyway. I can see that this would be more beneficial in a single wide fuselage. I am thinking of replacing my SL-40 with a SL-30 to gain a more capable Nav radio than the one I have now but the access for connector wiring and installation makes this a task that I'm not looking forward to.

Bob Axsom

Speed Slope and back panel access

I have speed-sloped windshield on Rocket, with back-of-panel access
similar to pic shown in thread. Works good, slips out from under
sloper fairing. Nice access to all stuff.

My sloper doesn't have quite the rake of F-1.

John Meyers N5800

I have speed-sloped windshield on Rocket, with back-of-panel access
similar to pic shown in thread. Works good, slips out from under
sloper fairing. Nice access to all stuff.

My sloper doesn't have quite the rake of F-1.

John Meyers N5800

Hi John,

Can you possibly send or post pictures? Than you.

Speed Slope and access panel on N5800

usermedia.php

I don't have pic with access panel removed...but here you can see the panel edges marked by unpainted screw heads (should paint 'em)

Back