What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to remove tape residue from plexiglass

wooody10

I have been working on my windscreen and have used clear package tape to protect the plexi while doing the fiberglass layup for the windscreen/boot cowl joint. After removing the tape, there is a sticky residue on the windscreen. I remember some time ago that somebody had a method (seem like kerosene or some other chemical) to get the residue off of the glass. Of course, I only want to use something that does not harm the plexiglass in any way. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim Streit
[email protected]

Hi Jim -

I just dealt with the same issue.

I used a solution for painting prep called "oil, grease and residue remover" from my local auto shop (it was in the paint department). Said on the bottle that it can also be used for removing sticky residue. I tested it on a small area of plexi and it was fine - no harm and removed the residue very easily. It smelt a little bit like kerosene.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jon.

I have found that

Naphtha will safely remove the tape residue on your plexi and not harm it in any way. If you are a bit unsure, try it with a piece of scrap laying about. The stuff smells like the old Ronson cigarette lighter fluid. After cleaning with the Naphtha, I used soft cloths and a little soapy water to rinse off any residue. It works great.

Be careful here!

For one thing, remember that the RV-12 does not use plexiglas. It is Lexan. Totally different stuff.
All other RVs use plexi.

Another point is that normal testing may not be sufficient. Some chemicals will not harm plexiglas short term, but may cause crazing long term.

plexi

Aircraft Spruce sells a product specifically for this purpose. If you use anything else the safe bet is to immediately follow up with lots of water with a bit of mild soap mixed in.

the evil tape

...find the guy who suggested you use packing tape!

sure, it looks thin etc.....but is the worst!...well, maybe the red 'tuck tape' is worse.

look up tech info on lexan - polycarbonate sheet. As mentioned by others, it is much less tolerant of solvents and abrasion than acrylic - Plexi.
start with the mildest thing you can get. Mineral spirits, & some orange-based cleaners are ok, like goo gone, but test first!

Clean your Plex

The manufacturer of your canopy recommends mineral spirits and a soft flannel cloth. Naptha is the second choice.
Bob
RV-7A
Finish kit

Back