What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rustoleum pro

burgundyja

Well Known Member
Has anyone used rustloleum pro on the outside. I am thinking of putting it on the hole aircraft. What do you think the pros and cons are. I will give the first joke. One pro is it has pro in the name.

Rustoleum Pro

Good paint for some things, but I wouldn't paint the outside of a plane with it...

FWIW, cured Rustoleum Pro comes right off with MEK.

Good luck,
Mike

Color Change

:D

I figured the MEK would give you an option to change your mind on the color (or get rid of any sags)!

Mike

I don't think you will be happy with that. I used it for my interior and it looks like poop.

FWIW - MEK will strip any paint.

Has anyone used rustoleum pro on the outside. I am thinking of putting it on the hole aircraft. What do you think the pros and cons are. I will give the first joke. One pro is it has pro in the name.

No reason why you couldn't use Rustoleum for the exterior paint. The interior of my RV-6 is painted with Rustoleum and still looks good after eleven years of hard use.

I actually painted a fabric plane with Rustoleum and it looked quite nice and adhered to the fabric just fine. The paint was purchased in quart cans and thinned with naphtha. Think I had less than $30 in the whole job. :)

Having said that, I think you would find Rustoleum and similar paints (Valspar tractor and implement paint, another good, low-cost paint) will lose their high gloss after extended time in the sun. The automotive paints hold up much better under UV punishment, guess that is what the high-$$$$$'s provide.

Paint choice comes down to your priorities, expectations and budget.

No reason why you couldn't use Rustoleum for the exterior paint.

Having said that, I think you would find Rustoleum and similar paints (Valspar tractor and implement paint, another good, low-cost paint) will lose their high gloss after extended time in the sun. The automotive paints hold up much better under UV punishment, guess that is what the high-$$$$$'s provide.

Paint choice comes down to your priorities, expectations and budget.

Yes, but remember that the average car spends about 35000 hours in the sun during a ten year period. And an RV that is used 100 hours a year will only see 1000 hours during that same period of time...........:D

GO for it

A man here in Auburn painted his whole plane this way. Fellow RV friend and IMHO, RV Guru, Smokey Ray, and I went to visit this guy a few weeks ago. Smokey was absolutely blown away by the plane. Loved it.

Here's what I'd do and what this guy did: Go with a camo military scheme.

It's true and kind of funny how he did his. He went to Home Dept and bought a case or two of assorted colors (off white, green, gray I think) and had a friend on each wing tip, one on the tail and one on the nose. He told them all to start painting and when they got to the center they'd go get a BBQ. That was 5 years ago and the plane still looks the same. No it's not a $5000 paint job, but I swear, if it had guns on the wings I'd swear it was from some third world air force. It's actually pretty cool looking. The guys a real Rube Goldberg and has all sort of cheap yet effective features.

He is proof of concept you can have a viable aircraft without spending $80K. I believe his total investment was under $30k (with engine)!

FWIW, about the only thing MEK won't remove is Imron et al. I never use the stuff anymore, major carcinogen.

FWIW, about the only thing MEK won't remove is Imron et al. I never use the stuff anymore, major carcinogen.

Where did you come to that conclusion? After much research, I found nothing at all that supports that statement. Of course it was a few years ago when I looked as I was making sure the stuff wasn't going to kill me, but still... I have never seen anything that proves or even suggests this is the case.

Where did you come to that conclusion? After much research, I found nothing at all that supports that statement. Of course it was a few years ago when I looked as I was making sure the stuff wasn't going to kill me, but still... I have never seen anything that proves or even suggests this is the case.

The noxious aroma of MEK is most likely what leads folks to consider it to be so dangerous. But as stated, the data sheets for MEK reveal it to be no more dangerous than many other solvents that are commonly used. It should be handled carefully as should any solvent, but you can buy the stuff by the gallon at most any home improvement store.

Last edited:
FWIW - MEK will strip any paint.

Not sure where this information came from, but I tried to remove Jet-Glo from my fuel caps with less than a month cure time. MEK wouldn't touch the stuff, even soaking overnight. I finally had to sand it off.

No cancer...

The noxious aroma of MEK is most likely what leads folks to consider it to be so dangerous. But as stated, the data sheets for MEK reveal it to be no more dangerous than many other solvents that are commonly used. It should be handled carefully as should any solvent, but you can buy the stuff by the gallon at most any home improvement store.

...but breathing a lot of the stuff doesn't sound good. The bit about attacking the central nervous system sure sounds bad.

Effects of inhalation: Inhalation of high concentrations may cause
central nervous system effects characterized by nausea, headache,
dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation.
Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May
produce numbness in the extremities.

But it does only rate a "1" in the Blue health diamond...

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927358

...but breathing a lot of the stuff doesn't sound good. The bit about attacking the central nervous system sure sounds bad.

Effects of inhalation: Inhalation of high concentrations may cause
central nervous system effects characterized by nausea, headache,
dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation.
Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May
produce numbness in the extremities.

But it does only rate a "1" in the Blue health diamond...

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927358

Yep, I just walked in from the shop after using MEK to clean up some "pro-seal" from the tank project I'm working on. If ventilation is inadequate, MEK can give you a humdinger of a headache. But I was standing in front of a fan and suffered no ill effects.....effects.....effejslhtsss.....

or some primers . . . . .

Not sure where this information came from, but I tried to remove Jet-Glo from my fuel caps with less than a month cure time. MEK wouldn't touch the stuff, even soaking overnight. I finally had to sand it off.

It won't touch cured AKZO primer either.

I won't use it anymore

Yep, I just walked in from the shop after using MEK to clean up some "pro-seal" from the tank project I'm working on. If ventilation is inadequate, MEK can give you a humdinger of a headache. But I was standing in front of a fan and suffered no ill effects.....effects.....effejslhtsss.....

..because I know Sam is normally a good speller, In a previous post he even spelled whole corrrectly; as in "whole aircraft" :)

I stand corrected. I have used MEK to strip paint in localized areas, I am sure there are some paints/primers that it won't. It does work on the Rustoleum Pro that I used however.

MEK can give you "non-infectous hepatitus" also known as 'dry cleaners disease'. It's hard on your liver and feels like the flu, except it lasted a few days longer, so I went to the Dr. to find out what was wrong. Now I wear nitrile gloves and work in a ventilated space ( or outside).
I'm outdoors testing Rustoleum "Stops Rust" original paint from the local hardware store, in Sunshine Red, also Semi Gloss Black. (on trailers)
Still looks pretty good after a few years, and washes up well. I should try some McGuires on it next.
I should try it on some aluminum scraps from the RV, including etched, alodined, primed, and bare.

Last edited:
Back