What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot Purchase

R

Richard Suffoletto

I am going to buy an autopilot shortly and wondered if specials are normally offered during airshows. Sun & Fun is coming up in a couple of months and I can wait until then if necessary.

Yep, usually

You can call trutrak, etc and they will usually tell you what discount they will offer. As close as we are, you can probably get that discount now and not have to wait. Normally, they publish the price early anyway, and we are only talking about 30-45 days anyway.

Check Affordable Panels if you are interested in TruTrak. They have really good prices year round.

Jekyll

It was called...

It was called, buy a dual chelton screen EFIS and get the AP for free! :)... Course, that was last year at OSH... Ok, so I paid the upgrade to get the VSGV version of the digiflight II, but it was a great discount :)...

If it were me, I wouldn't expect any huge discounts at SnF this year from many of the mfgrs...but...what I would expect might be some really nifty and neat new products, expanded functionalities, features and enhancements from a lot of the people out there.

Good example, TruTrak is now shipping the Altrak "VS's" and Buttons completely assembled..which removes the requirement for the customer to install those pesky little resistors onto the buttons, AND makes the installation of the Altrak entirely and completely PLUG & PLAY...the only thing you have to do is hook up the Servo, run a red wire to power, black wire to ground and the static line to the brain box! Things like this will only get better as products and companies mature.

You'll find that there isn't a huge pricing difference in things like Autopilots and EFIS's as you go shopping for several reasons. Margins aren't huge, MAP's, Inventory, etc.. You may very well spend several hours searching to find only a few $$'s in price difference. As with everything, it's best not to buy from the absolute cheapest, nor the absolute highest, but somewhere in the middle...at least that's my philosophy!

Just my 2 cents as usual. SnF should be REALLY exciting as far as the Autopilot, EFIS, Engine Monitor, GPS and Avionics world for us Homebuilders. More new stuff coming this year than I've seen in awhile.

Cheers,
Stein.

Ok, you convinced me... I'll wait until Sun & Fun and see whats new...

SteinAir said:
Just my 2 cents as usual. SnF should be REALLY exciting as far as the Autopilot, EFIS, Engine Monitor, GPS and Avionics world for us Homebuilders. More new stuff coming this year than I've seen in awhile.

Cheers,
Stein.

Stein, since you handle both brands...

I read a rumor where GRT was going to bring out their own autopilot. I'm in a quandry about that because I was planning on trading in my NIB DigiTrak I bought directly from TruTrak for their ADI w/2-axis VH system.

However, I'm also going to use the GRT dual EFIS so I have to wonder what info you might have about the GRT autopilot?

No rumors here; just the Plane Facts ;)

Back