What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My most excellent week of RV training with Jan Bussell

jarvis

Well Known Member
I was very fortunate to be able to spend last week in Florida flying Jan Bussell's -6 and -6A (with his able instruction, of course). Jan is a retired lifelong professional teacher--in addition to being to a CFI--and it shows.

He knows what he needs to teach you to keep you from killing yourself in an RV, and he goes about it in a very calm professional manner. Jan will let you make mistakes, and then he'll tell you about it.

His airplanes appear to be very well maintained, and he lives on a relatively rough, tight grass strip with a great three-paved-runway airport (Okeechobee County) only minutes away. (It also has one of the best airport restaurants--maybe the best--that I have ever seen.)

Jan is one of the better instructors with whom I have flown--and--he has both airplanes (-6 and -6A) in his hanger. More about that in another post ;)

Jan is a great guy and his field (the trip from his hangar to the field and back) will show you that the "A" models can handle grass just fine....His runway ain't that bad but the trip there and back is. I thought I was tearing his "6" apart just getting to the runway.

It is cool to get to do the training with Jan because you get some real good short, narrow, grass strip experience out of the deal or at least I did. I ended up with 3 TO&L out of there since we had to come back to his home base each day. They have 3800' but they only use about 2800' of it since the North 1000' is rough (and on the way back to Jan's hangar) Trees line one side of the runway and seem really close when your doing some of your first TW TO's!!!!

His planes take a beating...BUT he keeps them well maintained! He has went thru many engine mounts I understand. I was scheduled for a week right when he found a broken mount and had to delay my training for a few months. I was his first "6" student after he majored it while waiting on the new mount.

The only thing I did not like flying with Jan was #1 having to leave without more time with him and #2 that darn vernier throttle in his "6"....I can't understand why anyone would want such a thing on their throttle but hey to each their own!!!

The restaurant at Okeechobee is the best I have ever been to at an airport hands down...

Last edited:
checkout

I concur--checkout in his 6A started us out in our 7A and then moved to a 10. Great instructor--on first flight he calmly watched me almost go off the runway to the left--not realizing the rudder needed in these 'little' planes. Good news is that they get airborne quickly. HOWEVER I do not concur on the vernier- I wished I had put a vernier throttle in my -10. Having flown many years with them in the past, I love them. Very precise control, and if you know how to use them you are prepared for 'full' throttle whenever needed.

Vernier Throttle Controls

Thought of mentioning this in my long post. I agree totally about the vernier in Jan's RV6-too fine, too slow.

However, he had a coarse thread vernier in the 6A--and it was SWEET! My airplane will definitely have one--if I can figure out how to get the right one.
Never thought I would say that--always hated the things.

Transition Training With Jan

I was very fortunate to be able to spend last week in Florida flying Jan Bussell's -6 and -6A (with his able instruction, of course). Jan is a retired lifelong professional teacher--in addition to being to a CFI--and it shows.
Jan is one of the better instructors with whom I have flown--and--he has both airplanes (-6 and -6A) in his hanger.

I was luckey enough to have had Transition Training was with both Mike Seager and Jan Bussell. I flew with Mike in the 7 and 6 on different occassions and enjoyed it very much (and learned a lot too). Mike is without a doubt the "Dean" of RV Transition!

Mike always said "If you can fly the 6 (or 7) you won't have any problem with the "A" models". That all sounds well and good but, I can honestly say (not being a tail wheel guy) that I never felt comfortable flying the 6 or 7.

Jan Bussell is a class act, in his own right, also. Because I was building an RV-6A, I was really glad to have finished my up transition with Jan in his 6A. I spent about 4 hours learning the 6A with Jan and when I "graduated" I felt as though I was the "pilot in command", actually flying the airplane and not just hanging on for the ride. Thanks Jan!

I agree with everything said about Jan above. I did my transition training for my 8 in his 6 and was very impressed with Jan's abilities, patience, and cool calm way of letting you make the mistake and teaching you by doing. He's the best!

I've also recommended a bunch of guys to Jan...

...and never heard a complaint.

You guys thinking of using vernier throttles might want to reconsider if you plan on any formation flying. They're strictly verboten there and you won't be allowed to fly with one.

Best,

Not so fast Pierre...

I fly some formation with my hangermates--all ex-military and I have the vernier type throttle. The "throw" of my throttle is the same as the others and I think it is much easier to control. Fast changes are easy. I can rest my hand on the knobs of the other cables and use my index fingerfor precise throttle control by placing it on the panel and using my thumb and third and fourth fingers to manipulate the throttle movements.

With the other style I feel my elbow is hanging out in the air and the movements are done with my arm instead my wrist--less precise. I know some of the "pros" say otherwise, but you should get the throttle that feels the best. Just my 2 cents.

Mark

You may be allowed by your hanger-mates but, if you go to a FAST event, I can guarantee you that it won't fly (no pun intended).

Back