What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much paint?

boom3

Well Known Member
I know there are a lot of variables here, but generally speaking, how much paint does it take to paint a RV-7/A?

I intend to use PPG basecoat / clearcoat.

Thanks!

This much

Hi Jeff,

I used PPG base/clear on my 7. Four colors. Here's the numbers to the best of my memory. Toner, 1 gallon (a little less), 1 gallon 8 oz of white base, 1 quart of red with a little left in the can, 1 pint of blue and gold, 1.5 gallons of clear.

Overall weight gain 20 lbs. Although I did most of the work, I was guided by a very experience body shop owner and plane painter. Most tend to put waaaay too much color on. Base/clear only needs enough for opacity with the clear bringing out the color.

Done right base clear will be lots lighter than equal colors of single stage.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Thanks Darwin, exactly what I was looking for.

I just went and visited my local PPG dealer during lunch and started putting together a budget.

One question, and this may be obvious:rolleyes:, but did you shoot 2X what you bought? What I mean is did you buy a gallon of white, and a gallon of reducer and actually shoot 2 gallons of white? (Actually 2 gal 16oz)

Metallic??

If you're planning to shoot metallic, look into a fog coat for the final application of base.

Using urethane, we squirted 2 gal of white on my 9a and a quart of yellow for the accent.

Ratio

I don't remember the exact ratios for the mix. Whatever is called for. But yeah, it was reduced paint and clear.

Remember to only use 3m Fine Line tape for masking. Expen$ive but well worth it.

Thanks Darwin, exactly what I was looking for.

I just went and visited my local PPG dealer during lunch and started putting together a budget.

One question, and this may be obvious:rolleyes:, but did you shoot 2X what you bought? What I mean is did you buy a gallon of white, and a gallon of reducer and actually shoot 2 gallons of white? (Actually 2 gal 16oz)

3M fine line tape

Remember to only use 3m Fine Line tape for masking. Expen$ive but well worth it.

Absolutely!! Make sure the roll is fairly new so the adhesive is not dried out.

Also, newspaper is not masking paper. 30 years ago I painted an old Mercedes using newspaper for masking. When the job was done I could read the AZ Republic print backwards on a freshly painted door. OOPS!!

Last edited:
Darwins 20 pound number...

...is interesting.

That would be equal to 2.5 gallons of sprayable Imron with a 100% transfer efficiency.

The EPA gives HVLP transfer efficiency at 60% with training, so that would come out at about 4 gallons of sprayable (paint with catalyst added) Imron. Other sources use 75% which would be 3.3 gallons.

Darwin - thanks for the real weight measurement -

Does your 20 pound number include a primer coat?

Thanks for the great info guys!

I intend to paint this summer. Fortunately for me my father is coming up from California for a couple months to help me out. Although not a professional, he has painted quite a few cars over the years and definately has the touch.

Wish us luck, it should be an interesting couple of months! :D

Dsc_0803.jpg

I dont think it weighs that much when its dry.. perhaps while wet.
I stripped an RV7 with a razor blade a few years back and collected every bit i could in a box.. then weighed it. It came in just under 4 pounds including the box. It was dry and cured Base/Clear.

The Imron numbers I used...

I dont think it weighs that much when its dry.. perhaps while wet.
I stripped an RV7 with a razor blade a few years back and collected every bit i could in a box.. then weighed it. It came in just under 4 pounds including the box. It was dry and cured Base/Clear.

...came from the data sheet value of solids per gallon - essentially 8.3 pounds per gallon, with almost the same weight for the catalyst. I did not account for reducer since that probably does mostly evaporate.

So the numbers came from mixed (paint and catalyst) Imron.

Perhaps most of us cannot achieve the higher transfer efficiencies of the HVLP equipment?
This would put much less paint - and therefore much less weight - on the plane.

John's close on the weight. I think weighing errors are in play here. Very difficult to get consistent weighings. When I hosted the RN boys for Sea King trials, they went through sets of scales (high dollar digital) trying for consistency. Big struggle. I've weighed the same cub 4 times in a row on & off and had a 40 pound spread. This with arm weight type scales. Same type used for powder only bigger.

Paint weight & weighing

1. Manufacturer's data can be used to calculate paint weight. In their specs you can find recommended dry film thickness and weight/sq. ft. Multiply by the surface area and you can calculate paint weight. I posted on this the last time the question was asked 1 -2 years ago. Maybe you can locate that post in the archives (if you're better at searching than I am).

2. If you assume that the "real weight" was the average, then you are + 20 Lbs., or about + 2%. Since it is hard to get the tires in exactly the same spot on the scale platform each time, that is probably fairly decent repeatability/accuracy. Using the lowest number will increase your payload!:)

LarryT

John's close on the weight. I think weighing errors are in play here. Very difficult to get consistent weighings. When I hosted the RN boys for Sea King trials, they went through sets of scales (high dollar digital) trying for consistency. Big struggle. I've weighed the same cub 4 times in a row on & off and had a 40 pound spread. This with arm weight type scales. Same type used for powder only bigger.

Back