What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High Time Lycomings?

Rick Stoffel

I'm New Here
Hi all,

I am considering buying a used O-320 with around 9,000 TTSNEW, and 2100 SMOH. It is a 1979 engine, and has been flown 500 hours per year the past 4 years in an IFR trainer. I realize the engine is due for an overhaul, but anyone have any thoughts on the high TOTAL time? I've heard Lycs are good for about three runs only. Is this true or a myth?

Rick

Read the logs carefully!

I'm in the midst of an (unexpected) overhaul on my Mooney. The O-360 had about 6100 TT, and 1200 SMOH. It was a first airplane so there was a LOT we didn't know to look for in the logs. It had been through 2 overhauls. A few things to look for:

- Has the crankcase ever been re-machined? You can have this done about twice before there isn't enough metal left. Figure 3k roughly for a new case on the O-360 (we didn't need one)

- Has the crankshaft ever been reground? Same deal here- you can only do this so many times before you need a new crank. The limit on the O-360 I think is 0.010" undersized. In our case, we were at the limit, and fortunately the journals were OK, and it didn't need a re-grind this time. Never really priced a new crank, but I think they are 3-5k as well.

We got away with a few close ones, but this is the last run on this engine for sure.

These are the two main components any overhaul shop will put in their 'disclaimer' when quoting, and this can blow the price way up. If you have to replace both, in my opinion, you are better off buying new.

Certainly there are other things to look for, but if the engine logs say anything about these two operations being done, I'd investigate further...and hopefully if they were done, the log entries were made. I'd feel better if you could also confirm with the shop that did the last OH, and there as a paper trail on what was and was not done.

I'm not saying to NOT buy the enine if these have been done, just know what you're getting in to.

Good luck...my engine turned out to be Pandora's box...not to mention all of the accessories & prop. $25k later, here I sit, reading about engines instead of operating one (another 3 weeks to go, if I'm lucky).

jmbaute,

Great advice and great explanation. Thanks for sharing your experience with everyone.

When you consider the costs to OH a used core, plus the core price, a new Lycoming or clone are not much more. It could actually cost more if all the bad things pop up. Then you have a very expensive OH engine that may be unfit for further rework, if needed. If you can find a first runout engine (less than 2000 hrs since new), then you might have a core worthy of an OH. JMHO

Back