What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Review - Synergy Air Quick-Start Empennage Workshop

grjtucson

Well Known Member
I reviewed the SportAir RV Workshop back in December '05 and have also reviewed the Synergy Air 1-day Fundamentals of Building workshop, which is a prerequisite to the week-long Quick-Start Empennage Workshop. A read through those reviews will help you understand this one.

The Quick-Start Empennage Workshop is focused on getting your tail-kit done, and done well, in a week. Wally's website says six days, but that includes the 1-day mandatory fundamentals class. You learn a LOT along the way, but that is not the first priority. I found, with my intention of doing a standard build RV7 and learning a lot along the way and enjoying the process of building, that I needed to speak up a lot to get my needs met, which they then were without question. The other participant, Peter, from Northern BC, was building a Quick Build RV7 and his priority was to get as much done on that (he had the whole kit there) during the two weeks he was going to be in Eugene. Bottom line is that this class is aimed squarely at a builder like him that wants first class results fast. It could be called the "Quick Build" Empennage class.

Peter's goals changed our approach, and we worked hard and fast. We both had our empennage's complete by noon on Thursday. That's five builders building two tails in three and a half days. How is that possible?

1. All the prep work, edge finishing, part fabrication, plastic removal, and priming was done by Wally's staff in the two days prior to our Monday start. Everything, including the inside of skins, was scuffed and primed with SW wash primer. This is mandatory, costs an extra $325 on top of the class cost, and is the only way we could've done what we did. This $325 includes picking up your tail kit, though I already had mine and drove it up from AZ.

2. At no point did we ever have to think about what to do, we were told what to do and in what order to do it. We might have to figure out how, but there was no thinking or reading plans or decision-making. We were expected to read the plans at night and be ahead of the game in our heads. This was great after the first day, but since we built the rudder and elevators first, then the vertical and horzontal last, it took a bit of catching up.

3. We only worked from 8am to 4:30pm each day, there were no after hours. That said, we worked solid through the day, taking 20 minutes to eat a packed lunch.

4. Wally and Eric assisted Peter and I, and Larry Davis, a local A & P / IA joined is as well. Peter had brought Larry in to do some necessary Canadian inspections and signoffs and Larry wanted to help build. What a great opportunity! Larry is a class act and super person, and knows his stuff like few others. The five of us worked like madmen. Very intense, very enjoyable, and very educational.

5. It definitely does save time if you go straight to dimple on 3/32" prepunched holes. Again, that is a debate that will probably join the primer, tip-up vs slider, tail-dragger vs. nosewheel wars, but I am comfortable with it and confident in its safety. As I said in the Fundamental review, there is more news/information on the way in the near future on this topic, for now the debate is raging on another thread.

Because Peter was in a hurry, and I was not, Wally made sure I got tutoring probably a little deeper than I otherwise would've. When you go, know what you want to get out of the course and speak up, I have no doubt your needs will be met. The bonus for me, and it was a HUGE bonus, was that at Thursday noon we bundled up my empennage and all five of us went to work on Peter's quick-build. I got to do things that I won't be doing on my kit for months, and I got to do things that I didn't get a chance to do on my empennage. Peter got an extra worker and I learned much more than I would've just working on the tail. I was able to stay through Saturday and was building solidly for all two and half days of that. I'm told that by the next Saturday Peter's plane had a complete and painted interior, closed up wings, tail fitted, and was ready for hanging the engine and to begin on the canopy. Wally, Eric, and Larry were all astounded at the progress that was made.

I've still never shot an ounce of primer, but beyond that I've experienced much of what it takes to build an RV. As I'm likely to go the rattle-can route on the rest, this is hardly a big deal. Wally will gladly do all of the really critical stuff with you helping, or he'll reluctantly let you get into it yourself. He is driven by a great result, so tends to want to do things like riveting the rudder trailing edge himself, etc. For many builders, this is perfect, for others, you'll want to step in and insist that you get to take some risk. I should mention that my empennage is beautifully done and that there is no single skill that I did not experience myself during its building.

I would have liked to use a pnuematic hand squeezer, so I should have brought mine. Live and learn.

Wally and Eric are great people, and the environment is excellent. I'll definitely be back for the Fiberglass class at some point, Wally definitely knows his stuff and his building techniques are very effective. Through the week, Wally took pictures of us building for our documentation, and he provided an EAA Tech Counselor visit form for us as well. It turns out the class gave us a $50 credit with Cleaveland Tools if ordered that week, but I somehow missed the briefing on that. I used mine the next week and it was only $25, but still great.

The week is $1,500 plus the $325 for the prep and $150 for the Fundamental class. You end up with $100 credit split between Van's and Cleaveland. Net of $1,875 for a Quick-Build empennage and a great experience. Travel costs obviously add, but I have not a single regret about the cost or the benefit. There's an Extended Stay suites motel 15 minutes away for $30/night that is perfect. If I had to fly in or ship my tail I probably would've passed. As it was, the drive from Tucson wasn't bad and it was a great excuse to visit friends in Portland and Seattle after, go to Van's, the Spruce Goose museum, the Boeing field museum, and go diving off Vancouver island. I can also tell you that a fully completed RV7 empennage fits very easily into a 94 Toyota 4Runner.

George

I too have taken the one day class taught by Synergy air. I enjoyed it and planned to take the empanage class. I have since reconsidered, mostly because I do not think the $1900 is worth it. Plus there is not an extra $1900 in my plane building buget.

I believe that I can learn more by doing it myself, and getting help from my local EAA chapter. I am blessed with a very active and large local chapter. One of the benifits of living so close to Van's.

It seems like you missed out on a lot of learning. Seems from what I have read the prep work is where a lot of building time is spent. Being able to do the prep work effeciently would probably reduce your building time significately.

Prep Work

I see your point, and had I not had that extra two and a half days, I might agree with you. In that time, I got plenty of experience fabricating pieces, deburring edges, scuffing for prime, removing blue plastic, etc.

And, as they told us, it doesn't take long to learn any of the prep work, so even had I not, it would've been a trivial thing to do for the first time. There was nothing done for us that contained a crucial skill that we didn't also get to do more than once. Since it was largely done by unskilled hourly labor, that is a pretty clear indication that participants don't miss out on too much.

George

I just got done with the RV10 course at Synergy and have to say that I was very pleased with the way things are done. Everything was exactly as Wally said it would be. Their focus was clearly on hands on learning. My wife and I got to learn all the skills involved in completing the empenage and have increased our confidence in our ability to complete this little bird ourselves. The work environment was perfect. The tools are all nice and abundant, I would recommend any first time builder spend the time and money to attend this class. I learned a ton and can't imagine anybody taking the class and not feeling that they got more than they paid for. (and being able to call Wally on the phone and picking his brain is the icing on the cake. )

ACE

Back