What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3i Ignition

flickroll

Well Known Member
Is anyone on this forum flying with a G3i ignition system? If so I'd appreciate a PIREP (other than the report from Vetterman). Any issues with installation or operation? Engine smoothness, fuel economy, etc. The way I understand this system, it does not advance timing, but instead has multiple plug fires at lower RPM's. And, if the G3i system fails, the magnetos keep the engine running. I really like that feature of the system. Plus no wasted spark technology, no timing advance. Perhaps it is a good tradeoff in the sense you get better performance (although maybe not as good as with E-Mag, Lightspeed, Electroair, etc), with the added safety of no timing advance and still using mags. I'm going to take a close look at OSH, but any feedback in the meantime would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have it and really like it. Runs smoother, and it is pretty simple to install. I think I am saving some fuel over the last 100 hours, but I do not have fuel flow instrumentation, just seem to be able to cruise longer at my customary settings.

O-320 in an RV-7

Each to his own

But with no timing advance there is very little advantage over a traditional mag..With presumably the downside of the fact that it is electronic.

Fank

It is interesting

I asked this question a few months ago. Larry Vetterman has it and like it. I'll see if I can find his thoughts.

Looks very interesting and is reasonably priced.

But with no timing advance there is very little advantage over a traditional mag..With presumably the downside of the fact that it is electronic.

I see no downside to this system other than cost. If it fails you're running on mags. I am very interested in hearing about the upside, which to me would be enhanced fuel economy - is there real data available? If enhanced fuel economy is not there I would not install the system. I had enough 'fun' with P-Mags to convince me I don't want to use a system that advances timing. An unintended timing advance will quickly fry an engine, as almost happened to me.

Last edited:
I had enough 'fun' with P-Mags to convince me I don't want to use a system that advances timing. An unintended timing advance will quickly fry an engine, as almost happened to me.

You might not want to rule out a system that is not software/micro driven then, but uses only analog circuitry that is triggered by a sensor at hard crank positions.

As I said before, I believe that there is an improvement in fuel economy, and I can run much more agressive settings with the mixture than before, and I am carburated. I know Vetterman had some documented fuel savings.

The effect of multi spark discharge is well documented in the racing world, particularly at the RPM range we use. I picked this because I liked the failure mode.

Frank, the timing increase is one advantage to some ignitions, but not the only one. While running in G3 mode mags are perfectly synced because the trigger is taken from one of them while the firing energy is sent to both simultaneusly. The much hotter, and longer duration of spark has several benefits. Esentially this is like when we added CDI's to our motorcycles...didn't change the timing, but they ran much much better.

JMHO of course, and I only have around 100 hours on it so far. Is it worth the money? I think so, but hey opinions vary. It costs about what one P-mag with harness would cost. Can install in about 8 hours...and I fabricated a bunch of fun brackets.

The display they had at Oshkosh last year was impressive to say the least. I also like the simplicity of the system along with the fact the mags will still produce normal magneto spark should the G3i fail.

G3i at AirVenture/2010

Hi Guys,
G3i will be at AirVenture/2010 this year in the same place, Hanger ?A? Booth #1148. Stop by, I/we look forward to seeing you again.
Thomas Shpakow
www.g3ignition.com

Back