What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insulating Resistors

SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
I am installing a GRT EIS6000 and in accordance with the instructions need to connect the 4.8v excitation wire to the leads going to the Fuel senders and Oil Pressure sender through resistors.

For those who have done this before, how have you insulated the resistor leads? I am wondering if I can put shrinktube over the resistor.

I expect resistors to emit a little heat and if I insulate them with shrinktube this may cause too much heat build up. However I am somewhat electronically challenged and would appreciate some advice from those who know better.

Shrink tube will work, just use it on the bare wires, not on the body of the resistor.

I mounted mine on a terminal block, kept the legs short for vibrational issues.

There is so little current through those things that heat isn't really an issue in my experience. I solder a wire on each end of the resistor, and package the whole thing in heat-shrink. The ones I did five years ago look like they did the day they were installed.

Paul

Try this!

What I usually do on all my resistors, is strip back a peice of 18awg wire about 1/2in and use the piece of jacket that you stripped off of the wire(1 for each side). Slide it over the leads of the resistor and it is now insulated. Always works for me and gives me peace of mind.

Thanks

Appreciate the replies. Covering the entire resistor with heatshrink in this situation fits best with my mindset and I will proceed accordingly.

Back